Want to buy a new PC? I can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terovic

Backpacker
Region: United States of America
Budget: $900 for the computer, shipping can go over
Parts, Prebuilt, or Laptop: Laptop
Purpose/What you'll use it for: Gaming. Minecraft, light CSGO (I don't mind terrible graphics), Skyrim (Not very demanding). Programming, but anything over an i5 5th gen would be plenty for that.
Preferred color scheme, if any: Idc
Include Windows 10 Home Edition: I don't care. If it saves money, remove it.
Anything else (monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc): I would prefer Intel parts if possible. If you find an amazing deal, however, go for it.

Thanks a lot!

ThatAce

Nobility
Region: Australia
Budget: $2000 - 2500 (Australia Dollars)
Parts, Prebuilt, or Laptop: Prebuilt laptop.
Purpose/What you'll use it for: Games such as Minecraft, CS-GO, Fortnite or PubG (Not heavy games like GTA). Browsing and watching movies and shows. I'll be learning to code as well, so you can say there would be a lot of multi-tasking.
Anything else (monitor, keyboard, mouse, comments, etc): I prefer slim laptops, not very slim though. Maybe a graphics card of GTX 1060+, a fast processor wouldn't hurt. Also, I would get a desktop but i'll be moving place to place within 2018-2019 so as of now, I want to be more portable by using a laptop.

Last edited:

TheKingJenson

Overlord
Region: US
Budget: 1500 USD
Purpose/What you'll use it for: I want a practical laptop for school, not one too cheap which makes me look like an idiot. Not too expensive that I go bankrupt. But I also want something that can play some games, with respectable fps on medium to high settings. Games like Overwatch, Fortnite, Far cry, league. Probably the laptop should be anywhere between 13-14 inches
The preferred color scheme, if any: I'd like something minimalistic, not something to over the top with accents of black and red all over the laptop
Include Windows 10 Home Edition: Nah, already have one
Anything else (monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc): Yeah and I want a good mouse

The laptop I'm currently thinking is the Razer Blade 2017 14 inch laptop. It has a GeForce GTX 1060 with 6 GB vram and 16 GB memory. With a 256 GB SSD. A great screen. All fit into slim chassis. And its 14 inch
The Razer Blades are a total quality gamble - I've heard a couple of horror stories from friends with their customer service trying to replace a faulty laptop, but if you get a good one, it wouldn't be a bad choice. A couple things to keep in mind - that 256GB SSD is the ONLY storage it has, there's no backup hard drive for extra storage space. Also, the fans are really loud on those, so it isn't the best pick of you want to be doing intensive stuff around other people or in quiet places. Lastly, I can't personally find it anywhere for under $1500, but I haven't done much digging, so maybe you've found it at a lower price than I've found.

I'd make a personal recommendation for the Asus GL502VS. From what I understand, that thing could be a reliability lottery too, but it's a 15.6in screen with a GTX 1070. Not the 14in like the Razer, but 15-inch laptops are still plenty portable in my experience. Comes with an i7-7700HQ processor, GTX 1070, 16GB of RAM, and a 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD for storage, all for $1500. That being said, it has a very "gamer" look to it, so if that's not something you can bear, I found a better pick for you.

This MSI GX63 is the closest alternative. Equivalent specs across the board except some screen details, same price, but a bit less gamer-oriented. Still marketed to gamers, don't get me wrong, but the overall look is less obnoxious. This would probably be the best one for you within your budget. MSI loves bloatware though, so know that going in if you decide on this one.

If you want to dip down to a GTX 1060, you have some more options, especially if you want a thin laptop. The MSI GS63 weighs less than four pounds and has basically the same specs as the other two laptops I've linked so far, save for the 1060 as well as having a 128GB SSD instead of 256GB. One thing to keep in mind with thin gaming laptops is that they're pretty much guaranteed to be loud and hot, like the Razer Blade. Occupational hazard, I guess.

If you really want the portability of a 14-inch screen, I did find a good option for that. The MSI GS43 is, for all intents and purposes, the same laptop as the GS63 I just linked above, but with a 14" screen. It's even lighter than the GS63, only weighs 3.75 pounds, and it shares the same "not super gamer-y" look. So, if the smaller screen is a necessity, this is the one.

That's about it I think, lemme know if you have questions or if the prices of any of these go up, and I'll update the response.

Edit: The Logitech G502 is a fantastic mouse in my experience, definitely gets my personal approval. I've seen it as low as like $35 around Black Friday, but you can almost always find it somewhere under $50. Right now on Amazon it's $45.99.

As for the other requests, I'm working on them as I type this one out, I should be done sooner rather than later.
[doublepost=1523568230,1523562777][/doublepost]
Region: US
Budget: 700-800$
Parts, Prebuilt, or Laptop: Prebuilt
Purpose/What you'll use it for: Minecraft recording and playing larger games/ high quality steam games.
Preferred color scheme, if any: less color is better for me
Include Windows 10 Home Edition: Yes
Anything else (monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc): solo monitor, don’t care about the size.
At this price point, you'll probably have to forgo an SSD unless you buy and install one yourself. However, you can still find decent deals for gaming at under $700. Probably the best pick for you that I can find is this HP Pavilion desktop with a Ryzen 5 1400, RX 580 GPU, and 8GB of RAM along with a copy of WIndows 10 for $680. That leaves some room to buy a decent monitor, and frankly I don't think you'll find a significantly better pick if you get a pricier PC with a worse monitor, especially playing at 1080p. So, with that in mind, this Acer KG221Q monitor is likely your best pick to go with the PC. 21.5 inch display refreshing at 75hz with a 1ms response time is fantastic for the price, and it has Freesync, which pairs perfectly with the RX 580 in the PC. It also has built-in speakers, so you don't necessarily need to buy separate speakers or use headphones. The total price of the PC and monitor comes to around $780, which is within your budget, and if tax is added on, it shouldn't be too far over $800.

Budget: 500
Parts, Prebuilt, or Laptop: Prebuilt
Purpose/What you'll use it for: Gaming
Preferred color scheme, if any: None
Include Windows 10 Home Edition: Idk what this is, sorry ahahah
Anything else (monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc): Monitor, and keyboard
Like @OhLights said, I'd really recommend building your own PC at that price. My reasoning on that one is that the best processor/graphics combo at this price when including a monitor and keyboard is the Ryzen 3 2200G. Problem is, it's still a new processor, and there's really no prebuilt desktop PC's that use one. This means you get stuck with some pretty awful processors AND graphics cards for $500 when you could get a much better price/performance deal if you make one yourself using the 2200G. That being said, I will absolutely hunt down the best deal for you that I can find, but I'll need a bit of time. In the meantime, I made a part list for you in case you decided to do your own build.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tWL4nH

This build has everything you need to build the PC except for a USB drive to install Windows from, along with a monitor and mechanical keyboard, all for $498 as of when I made it. You won't find any prebuilt PC offering better performance for this price, especially when accounting for the price of a monitor and keyboard to go with it. Chances are you wouldn't find any prebuilts using an SSD for less than around $800, and the SSD is really the most useful upgrade you can make to a PC as far as day-to-day activities go.

Like I said, I'll keep an eye out for good prebuilt deals and keep you posted if I find anything good, but for now, this is the best I can offer you, sorry :/

Edit: changed the keyboard in the part list because the one I had picked out went up like $25. Due to the lower price of this new keyboard, I also opted for faster RAM. Total is now $488 as of when I made this edit.

Last edited:

TheKingJenson

Overlord
Budget: $900 for the computer, shipping can go over
Purpose/What you'll use it for: Gaming. Minecraft, light CSGO (I don't mind terrible graphics), Skyrim (Not very demanding). Programming, but anything over an i5 5th gen would be plenty for that.
Preferred color scheme, if any: Idc
Include Windows 10 Home Edition: I don't care. If it saves money, remove it.
Anything else (monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc): I would prefer Intel parts if possible. If you find an amazing deal, however, go for it.

Thanks a lot!
It seems like the best pick I can find for under $900 would be this Acer Aspire 7 ($791). It's actually under $800 but it has equal or better features as just about any laptop I can find at $900 anyways. i7-7700HQ processor with a GTX 1050 Ti, 8GB of RAM, and a 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD. The one flaw I can find right away is that, seeing as this isn't really a laptop marketed directly at gamers, the keyboard has no backlighting as far as I can tell. If that's an issue for you, there's a couple similar options you could choose from while staying under $900.

This Acer Nitro 5 ($829) is similar to the Aspire, albeit without an SSD. However, you do get 16GB of RAM instead of 8, and the keyboard is backlit. Beyond that, nothing more to say about this one. If you absolutely need the extra RAM and the backlit keyboard, this one would be the better choice.

This Asus FX503VM ($899) is another option. Bit different from the others in that you get an i5-7300HQ instead of the i7-7700HQ, and it also has a 3GB GTX 1060 rather than the 1050 Ti's in the other two.You also get a 128GB SSD and a 1TB hybrid SSHD, which would theoretically offer the fastest storage combination of any of the three laptops. This one also has 8GB of RAM like the Aspire. So here, it's a matter of deciding whether you'd rather have the i7 processor or the 3GB GTX 1060 for what you tend to use it for. Maybe look up some game benchmarks on the two graphics cards to decide whether the upgrade is worth the price.

Think that's about it for this one, lemme know if you want any more info and I'd be happy to help.

necropost?
My goal with this thread is to keep it updated for everyone to use, and I'll always respond to anyone looking for help here. As far as I'm concerned, people can necro it as much as they like since I'll be constantly updating the core information being offered. I know that threads automatically lock themselves after 30 days without any replies.

DanielleMC

Nobility
jenson?...
as in... the jenson?
JENSONNNNN!!!!!!
cute thread ily i already have a pc built and im braindead so hi

TheKingJenson

Overlord
This pc > than your $700 build?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0747W15QL/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1523568989&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=gaming+pc

I purchased this for my younger brother a year ago for 700 (I guess they raised the price.) It's been able to run everything. I just want your opinion on if I made the right decision to buy that pre-built PC (in comparison to your $700 build.)
Nothing wrong with that one. RAM and GPU prices have both gotten a lot higher in the last year, which would cover most of the price difference between then and now. If you compared it to my $800 builds, which are actually more like $750 right now, the part lists would end up being better overall, but a year ago for $700 that PC would have been a fine pick. Most important thing is that you've been happy with it, and it sounds like it's been working great, so there ya go!

Region: United States
Budget: $2400
Parts, Prebuilt, or Laptop: laptop {school work}
Purpose/What you'll use it for: School work such as graphing mathematical functions, essays, onenote desktop version, and light gaming.
Preferred color scheme, if any: dont care
Should I include Windows 10 in total price: no
Anything else (monitor, keyboard, mouse, comments, etc): looking for nice noise cancelling headphones & laptop bag.

Emperio

Previously Emperio
The Razer Blades are a total quality gamble - I've heard a couple of horror stories from friends with their customer service trying to replace a faulty laptop, but if you get a good one, it wouldn't be a bad choice. A couple things to keep in mind - that 256GB SSD is the ONLY storage it has, there's no backup hard drive for extra storage space. Also, the fans are really loud on those, so it isn't the best pick of you want to be doing intensive stuff around other people or in quiet places. Lastly, I can't personally find it anywhere for under $1500, but I haven't done much digging, so maybe you've found it at a lower price than I've found.

I'd make a personal recommendation for the Asus GL502VS. From what I understand, that thing could be a reliability lottery too, but it's a 15.6in screen with a GTX 1070. Not the 14in like the Razer, but 15-inch laptops are still plenty portable in my experience. Comes with an i7-7700HQ processor, GTX 1070, 16GB of RAM, and a 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD for storage, all for $1500. That being said, it has a very "gamer" look to it, so if that's not something you can bear, I found a better pick for you.

This MSI GX63 is the closest alternative. Equivalent specs across the board except some screen details, same price, but a bit less gamer-oriented. Still marketed to gamers, don't get me wrong, but the overall look is less obnoxious. This would probably be the best one for you within your budget. MSI loves bloatware though, so know that going in if you decide on this one.

If you want to dip down to a GTX 1060, you have some more options, especially if you want a thin laptop. The MSI GS63 weighs less than four pounds and has basically the same specs as the other two laptops I've linked so far, save for the 1060 as well as having a 128GB SSD instead of 256GB. One thing to keep in mind with thin gaming laptops is that they're pretty much guaranteed to be loud and hot, like the Razer Blade. Occupational hazard, I guess.

If you really want the portability of a 14-inch screen, I did find a good option for that. The MSI GS43 is, for all intents and purposes, the same laptop as the GS63 I just linked above, but with a 14" screen. It's even lighter than the GS63, only weighs 3.75 pounds, and it shares the same "not super gamer-y" look. So, if the smaller screen is a necessity, this is the one.

That's about it I think, lemme know if you have questions or if the prices of any of these go up, and I'll update the response.

Edit: The Logitech G502 is a fantastic mouse in my experience, definitely gets my personal approval. I've seen it as low as like $35 around Black Friday, but you can almost always find it somewhere under $50. Right now on Amazon it's $45.99.

As for the other requests, I'm working on them as I type this one out, I should be done sooner rather than later.
At this price point, you'll probably have to forgo an SSD unless you buy and install one yourself. However, you can still find decent deals for gaming at under $700. Probably the best pick for you that I can find is this HP Pavilion desktop with a Ryzen 5 1400, RX 580 GPU, and 8GB of RAM along with a copy of WIndows 10 for $680. That leaves some room to buy a decent monitor, and frankly I don't think you'll find a significantly better pick if you get a pricier PC with a worse monitor, especially playing at 1080p. So, with that in mind, this Acer KG221Q monitor is likely your best pick to go with the PC. 21.5 inch display refreshing at 75hz with a 1ms response time is fantastic for the price, and it has Freesync, which pairs perfectly with the RX 580 in the PC. It also has built-in speakers, so you don't necessarily need to buy separate speakers or use headphones. The total price of the PC and monitor comes to around $780, which is within your budget, and if tax is added on, it shouldn't be too far over $800.

Like @OhLights said, I'd really recommend building your own PC at that price. My reasoning on that one is that the best processor/graphics combo at this price when including a monitor and keyboard is the Ryzen 3 2200G. Problem is, it's still a new processor, and there's really no prebuilt desktop PC's that use one. This means you get stuck with some pretty awful processors AND graphics cards for $500 when you could get a much better price/performance deal if you make one yourself using the 2200G. That being said, I will absolutely hunt down the best deal for you that I can find, but I'll need a bit of time. In the meantime, I made a part list for you in case you decided to do your own build.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PyhjpG

This build has everything you need to build the PC except for a USB drive to install Windows from, along with a monitor and mechanical keyboard, all for $498 as of when I made it. You won't find any prebuilt PC offering better performance for this price, especially when accounting for the price of a monitor and keyboard to go with it. Chances are you wouldn't find any prebuilts using an SSD for less than around $800, and the SSD is really the most useful upgrade you can make to a PC as far as day-to-day activities go.

Like I said, I'll keep an eye out for good prebuilt deals and keep you posted if I find anything good, but for now, this is the best I can offer you, sorry :/
Thanks a lot, surely gonna check these laptops out
[doublepost=1523581301][/doublepost]

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PyhjpG

I'm sold on the Asus.

Logic

Ambassador
Current custom build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400S ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic - G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM 78.7 CFM 140mm Fan

Originally built this as I was getting into computers and hardware, but have since learned more about computing and realized this isn't quite optimized for what I'm looking for. While having 12 cores out of the R5 1600 is nice, the reality is for most gaming I'd be better off for a 4-5GHz quad core unit. I've overclocked my current R5 1600 to 3.7 from 3.2, but I can't get it much farther without a better cooling unit.

Towards this end I'm thinking of upgrading my CPU/Mobo/RAM/default-wraith-spire CPU cooler (came with CPU) in favor of some hardware more optimized for gaming (higher clock rate on less threads) on a platform ideally a bit more stable than I've found Ryzen to be. Any recommendations for upgrades in that department? I haven't used water cooling before so I'm a bit hesitant to delve into that, but if you highly recommend it I'd be willing to do some research. Also, could use a thermal paste recommended if you happen to have a brand you like. As for a budget, assume that isn't an issue and if you're going WAY overboard I'll let you know.

Thanks in advance!

MelodicRose

Overlord
I was hoping you were still responding to this thread.. will post again with what im looking for in the morning. Very nice thread as always sir :)

TheKingJenson

Overlord
Region: Australia
Budget: $2000 - 2500 (Australia Dollars)
Parts, Prebuilt, or Laptop: Prebuilt laptop.
Purpose/What you'll use it for: Games such as Minecraft, CS-GO, Fortnite or PubG (Not heavy games like GTA). Browsing and watching movies and shows. I'll be learning to code as well, so you can say there would be a lot of multi-tasking.
Anything else (monitor, keyboard, mouse, comments, etc): I prefer slim laptops, not very slim though. Maybe a graphics card of GTX 1060+, a fast processor wouldn't hurt.
I think the best option based on what you said would be the MSI GX63VR by far. i7-7700HQ paired with a GTX 1070, 16GB of RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, 15.6-inch screen, and weighs 2.2 kilos, all for less than $2000 AUD.

If you really wanted to go all out within the $2500 budget you have, the best choice would be the Asus GL702VI. It's got the same i7-7700HQ processor, 16GB of RAM, and 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, but with a GTX 1080 and a 17.3-inch G-Sync screen. This thing is a lot heavier though, 3.4 kilos - definitely not a slim one. Whether you want this one is up to you. Personally, I'd probably just take the MSI, seeing as you're only playing at 1080p anyways, you save a lot of money going with the MSI, and you save $500 on top of that.

ThatAce

Nobility
I think the best option based on what you said would be the MSI GX63VR by far. i7-7700HQ paired with a GTX 1070, 16GB of RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, 15.6-inch screen, and weighs 2.2 kilos, all for less than $2000 AUD.

If you really wanted to go all out within the $2500 budget you have, the best choice would be the Asus GL702VI. It's got the same i7-7700HQ processor, 16GB of RAM, and 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, but with a GTX 1080 and a 17.3-inch G-Sync screen. This thing is a lot heavier though, 3.4 kilos - definitely not a slim one. Whether you want this one is up to you. Personally, I'd probably just take the MSI, seeing as you're only playing at 1080p anyways, you save a lot of money going with the MSI, and you save $500 on top of that.
I was deciding whether to purchase MSI GS65 or GX63. Seems like GS is too expensive, cheers!

TheKingJenson

Overlord
Current custom build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400S ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic - G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Originally built this as I was getting into computers and hardware, but have since learned more about computing and realized this isn't quite optimized for what I'm looking for. While having 12 cores out of the R5 1600 is nice, the reality is for most gaming I'd be better off for a 4-5GHz quad core unit. I've overclocked my current R5 1600 to 3.7 from 3.2, but I can't get it much farther without a better cooling unit.

Towards this end I'm thinking of upgrading my CPU/Mobo/RAM/default-wraith-spire CPU cooler (came with CPU) in favor of some hardware more optimized for gaming (higher clock rate on less threads) on a platform ideally a bit more stable than I've found Ryzen to be. Any recommendations for upgrades in that department? I haven't used water cooling before so I'm a bit hesitant to delve into that, but if you highly recommend it I'd be willing to do some research. Also, could use a thermal paste recommended if you happen to have a brand you like. As for a budget, assume that isn't an issue and if you're going WAY overboard I'll let you know.

Thanks in advance!
Unfortunate that your upgrade path pretty much guarantees you'll have to switch out your processor AND your mobo, but hey, life goes on. Yeah, for just gaming the Intel processors are definitely the way to go right now. I suspect that it'll still be the case even against the second-gen Ryzen processors, but we can wait a week and see once some more benchmarks come out along with the release of the units.

In the meantime...

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($237.59 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Scythe - Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.2 CFM CPU Cooler ($47.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($147.18 @ OutletPC)
Extra CPU Cooler Fan: Scythe Kaze Flex 120mm PWM Fan @300 - 1200 RPM 51.17CFM ($13.99 @ Newegg, not listed on PCPartPicker)
Total: $446.75

Given the gaming-focused PC usage, go with the i5-8600K. 6 cores, no hyperthreading so you've got 6c/6t. Along with that, the Scythe Mugen 5 cooler because liquid cooling is overrated and overpriced. The Mugen 5 performs as well as or better than 80-90% of liquid coolers, for one-half to one-third of the price. For better performance I included an extra fan, the same one that comes stock on the cooler. The cooler comes with a pair of clips to add on a second fan if you want it, and having the second one should lower the (already amazing) temps by a few more degrees. That being said, it's not necessary - you could drop the extra fan and save $14. Finally, the motherboard I picked was the ASRock Z370 Extreme4. IMO this mobo has the best features for the price without making any sacrifices. This one is more of a personal choice though - you could grab a Z370 board for $50 less, but inform yourself of the differences between the boards first.

The other cost-saving option is to drop down from the 8600K to the i5-8400, but the key sacrifice there is that you can't overclock the 8400. With that in mind, I'd personally stick to the 8600K for the extra performance in games. If you don't overclock the 8600K, there isn't a huge performance advantage over the 8400 since they're both 6c/6t, but let's be honest - you're gonna OC the 8600K.

Uhh, I think that's it. You'd be looking at $450-ish for those three parts plus the second fan for the cooler - you don't need to replace anything else in your build. I think you could easily make $200-225 back if you sold the Ryzen 5 1600 and the X370 mobo, so effectively it would be a $225 trade-in for the Intel parts. Cheers!

Logic

Ambassador
Uhh, I think that's it. You'd be looking at $450-ish for those three parts plus the second fan for the cooler - you don't need to replace anything else in your build. I think you could easily make $200-225 back if you sold the Ryzen 5 1600 and the X370 mobo, so effectively it would be a $225 trade-in for the Intel parts. Cheers!
Would I not be needing to replace the ram? I don't know much about how compatible ram is with different motherboards. Also, what would be a reasonable overclock I could expect out of the i5-8600K with the cooling unit you listed? I'd rather go higher clock rate on less threads than sticking with 6+.

Thanks for the detail response though!

Status
Not open for further replies.