The BEST way to make your first base or a quick recruit base!

Discussion in 'Community Help Guides' started by QuazzyDestroyer, Feb 8, 2019.

?

Favorite base size (in chunks)

1. 1 by 1

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. 2 by 2

10 vote(s)
    47.6%
  3. 3 by 3

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. 4 by 4

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. 5 by 5- AS BIG AS I CAN MAKE ONE

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. QuazzyDestroyer

QuazzyDestroyer Backpacker

Ratings:
    +22
    QuazzyDestroyer
    Hey guys, I'm back with another thread! This time it will be on how to make your first large, easily defend-able base(optimized for besen)- And it only takes about 10k, depending on your base size! Let's start.
    Yellow= all realms
    Green= Besen only
    Red= Non- gen bucket realms

1.Choose your base size
    Your first step is to choose how large (in chunks) you want your base to be: a 1-by-1 or a 2-by-2 is great for starting out, and they can be defended much more easily. Once I accidentally made a 5-by-5...
    For large crop farms I would recommend a 3 by 3; for fall damage grinders a 2 by 2; for random stuff a 1-by-1.
    Building a rectangular base
    does work, but it is harder to calculate grinder sizes and is less convenient.

2.Build location
    Your second order of business is to find a suitable spot to build in. For an efficient base, I would recommend making your fortress in the middle of the ocean. While it is possible to use a reverse cannon on this type of base, it takes a lot of time and skill, so most people will still just cannon you conventionally. Preferably, you should try to build away from land to make it harder to find with random /wild teleports, and make sure it's not too close to the /wild spawn either.

3. Claiming the base
    Now, claim the amount of chunks in the ocean that you want your base to occupy, as you decided above. For a 1 by 1 do /f claim, for a 3 by 3 do /f claim 2. for 2 by 2's you must manually claim land. DO NOT claim additional land for walls or base protection yet, as it will make construction take over twice as long.

4.Actually making your base- Floor
    Quickly swim or e-pearl to the bottom of the ocean (within your claimed land) and make a pillar to the water's surface. it does not matter what material this is as it will be removed later. the pillar should stick one block above the water. Now, if you are on Besen place a horizontal cobblestone gen bucket (obsidian is a waste of money and is broken just as easily, it just takes a few more hits) on all four sides of the block. If you play on another realm, fill in your floor manually and skip to step 5. If you are a Besen player, there should now be a rough/lopsided + shape just above the water. Now, using more horizontal gen buckets fill in all that you can. Now there should be a square floating on the water.

5.Actually making the base- Walls
    Travel to a side or corner of your base. If you hold sneak and lean off the edge it should show that you have left you faction territory. At this edge (still within your claimed land) pillar up to sky limit with cobblestone. Now break the very top block so that your tower is one block below sky limit. Now, if on Besen, use vertical cobblestone gen buckets along the edge of your claimed territory until you reach the end- at that point the gen buckets won't work because your land isn't claimed. Now turn and repeat until you have made all four walls. If you are on a different realm gen a single wall along the edge of your territory; there are plenty of online tutorials on how to do this.

6. Actually making the base- Roof and watering
    At this point make sure your walls end one block before sky limit, and, if on Besen, use horizontal cobblestone gen buckets to fill in the roof. If on another realm do this manually. At this point you may claim additional land to add to your buffer. Now on to watering.

2019-02-08_11.48.44.png
    First make an L shape with ice (NOT packed) as shown as well as the block in the lower left corner (Btw @Lucy was saying yikes to someone else). Now break the L with a normal pickaxe, breaking the block in the lower left corner last. Congratulations, your base is now watered! However, it can still be corner cannoned, as your corners probably look like this:
    2019-02-08_11.54.45.png
    To fix this defense issue follow these steps:
    2019-02-08_11.55.11.png
    2019-02-08_11.55.21.png
    Repeat this with all four corners.
    Now your base is watered, and the ocean will serve as your trench- time to add slabs!

7. Actually making your base- slabs
    If half- slabs are added to the bottom of the ocean, it forces enemies to either build a slab-bust or use expensive creeper eggs. Do NOT place slabs parallel to your base, only at the bottom of the ocean. simply stand pressed up against a wall and drop to the bottom of the ocean. Now place a square outline of slabs around your base. At this point if you place sand or an anvil on the side of one of your walls it will fall onto the slabs below and break.

8. Finishing touches!
    I personally like to add a second interior cobblestone layer to the roof and floor to stop annoying water drips...
    Also make sure to set your home inside!

That just about sums up this guide! Comment if you have questions or want me to make a guide on something else- like making fast buffers/walls/triple filters. If I get 15 positive ratings on this thread i will make another guide! (no I didn't just make this post to farm likes) Cya next time!

#1 QuazzyDestroyer, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. Overlording

Overlording Backpacker

Ratings:
    +102
    Tenshiiro
    Hmm didn't read it but it looks informative good job.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Hilly

Hilly Backpacker

Ratings:
    +116
    you want a obby shell and have the cobble box be ur glitch layer otherwise hackers will just glitch in and cegg

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. QuazzyDestroyer

Ratings:
    +22
    QuazzyDestroyer
    Eh obsidian isn’t worth its cost unless it’s only to cover a section of the base (e.g. a spawner room) though desteria has anti-glitching things in place, if you really want protection do another layer of cobble for the walls, then water, then more cobble. However, to maximize space, if I want to do this I just seal a few layers of wraps and leave one (not the innermost one) dry. Hope this helps :)

5. iiRoxy

iiRoxy Peasant

Ratings:
    +10
    iiRoxy_
    This is very helpful to new players! I appreciate it. :)

6. BigDawgs

BigDawgs Peasant

Ratings:
    +2
    I appreciate the help something that works for me and i think it was already stated but i mine down a bit and make a fake farm base with random stuff then I have a obby base with my high tier loot a little while a way

7. Costy

Costy Overlord

Ratings:
    +2,737
    Costy
    how

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. AceHer

AceHer Explorer

Ratings:
    +392
    AceHerc
    Underground base is superior.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Emperio

Emperio Previously Emperio

Ratings:
    +257
    Emperio
    base in lava pit > all

10. QuazzyDestroyer

Ratings:
    +22
    QuazzyDestroyer
    because if u only claim your selected base size (e.g 2 by 2) then you can let horizontal gen buckets run until they hit the border (where you want them to stop) without having to manually stop them. You should claim more land after you make your box :)

I really dont like underground bases... most people make their box first and this makes it hard to water and harder to slab, as you can be roof-cannoned. plus, clearing out space is annoying and making even walls are nearly impossible. The only thing they are good for
    is for making vaults. An under-lava base does nearly nothing if it is a claimed, but they are good for vaults... https://desteria.com/community/threads/how-to-make-a-vault-and-not-make-the-common-mistakes.96694/

yes i have a guide for that too :)

Edit: I mean to say that since gen buckets stop at the edge of faction territory it makes a perfect cube for you (unless, of course, the claim is irregular.

#10 QuazzyDestroyer, Feb 16, 2019 at 11:38 AM
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2019 at 11:27 AM
  11. Costy

Costy Overlord

Ratings:
    +2,737
    Costy
    true but u can just manually place the hori walls because most people dont gen it like that since **** like this happens and you have to manually stop it.

12. QuazzyDestroyer

Ratings:
    +22
    QuazzyDestroyer
    Yes but that **** doesn’t happen in the first place because gen buckets can only build in faction land. For most people (me included) this makes it a bit easier. Keep in mind that this is for a recruit base without a ton of super valuable spawners or someone’s first large base on Besen, not a full buffer base. And the floor being genned is only for on Besen.

13. doggo

doggo Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +399
    edit the guide to include bases from the 21st century pls
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 17, 2019 at 11:43 AM, Original Post Date: Feb 17, 2019 at 11:38 AM ---
    lemme point out some things in a 21st century base:
    - not above ocean because it takes 10 years to trench
    - obby glitch layer to prevent glitching
    - cobwebs
    - reverse layers
    - 160 wraps
    - sponge trays
    - sand walls

14. SpankinUBtchs

SpankinUBtchs Peasant

Ratings:
    +1
    Helpful... Thanks!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. QuazzyDestroyer

Ratings:
    +22
    QuazzyDestroyer
    Note the title- “Your first base”...
    For players that don’t have a large ig farm this seems to be an effective base design. The ocean itself actually provides a trench (not down to bedrock but still requires cannoners to stack sand).
    If you are looking for a base to protect VERY valuable spawners or loot, a different base design may work better. Mabye I could make a guide on that! :p :) ...

16. doggo

doggo Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +399
    buck, in 2019 that IS the first base of a new player

17. Overlording

Overlording Backpacker

Ratings:
    +102
    Tenshiiro
    in the 29th century w/ me and my eboys we wither raid, so fight that.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. doggo

doggo Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +399
    lol i will just ask ilemon for bedrock get rekt no wither riaidng anymore

19. Overlording

Overlording Backpacker

Ratings:
    +102
    Tenshiiro
    silly doggo i have access to eNDEr dRaGon raiDing so you lose nub