Suggestion - Blacklist Appeal Policy Change

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Coconut, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Coconut

Coconut Previously CoconutShell
    Staff Member Recruit

Ratings:
    +82
    CoconutSpook
    Suggestion Title
    Blacklist Appeal Policy Change
    Which realm does this suggestion apply to?
    Auren, Besen, Caden, Cannon

Introduction
    Hello Desteria,
    I've seen recently that the topic of unbanning blacklisted players has come under the spotlight. It's currently very controversial, and I felt like I had a good compromise for both sides. I decided to make a new suggestion instead of replying to an existent thread as it's a different idea on it's own, and it's one that needs a fair amount of explanation too. So here it is:

Details
    Instead of unblacklisting everyone everyone on a single date, I think we should let blacklisted players make an appeal after 6 months of being blacklisted. This would let players have a second chance on the server to show that they've changed for the better.

Now why not unblacklisting them instantly after 6 months without having them make an appeal. First of all, wit the appeal you can already start filtering out those that seem to have not changed. Second reason is to filter out those that had unforgivable offenses like DOX or DDoS.

Also have an unban and unblacklist all on the day of the reset following these guidelines :
    Blacklisted player who's blacklist is less than 6 months old gets and instant unblacklist, and all banned players get an instant unban unless the ban is 1 week old (to prevent rule breaking right before reset knowing they will be unbanned) all these times would start from the day of the reset.

Closing Thoughts
    As a lot of people have said, having an unblacklist would bring a of players back on the server. I however think that we should filter out some people and this would be in the form of making them appeal. I also think this would be a good policy to add for the future to let players that have messed up have a second chance, and prove that they've grown out of their bad behavior.

#1 Coconut, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. PandaDaKill

PandaDaKill Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +303
    Nah Justin unban and unblavklist everyone to be fair :)
    There’s quite a few banned people I’d like to see back, and no, I’m not talking about myself, seeing as I have moved on
    But if there was unban all I’d come back lol

• Like Like x 1
  3. Coconut

Staff Member Recruit

Ratings:
    +82
    CoconutSpook
    If we go by this logic, we could just mute every rule breaking for 1 hour no matter how bad it is, and I don't think that's very fair.

Everyone got banned/blacklisted because they broke the rules too much or the offense was to grave. This is why they should only get unblacklisted or unbanned if they make an appeal showing that they've moved on from they're dark past. Do you really want someone that got blacklisted 1 month ago for DOXing you to come back on the server so fast? I don't think so.

4. JamesDaKill

JamesDaKill Nobility

Ratings:
    +1,052
    JamesDaKill
    They would need to have very specific guidelines of what to accept and what not to accept (best to be private with the moderator team and not seen by normal players) or it will allow for too much bias if it's just "this player looks like they've changed" ("hated this player so I'll deny the appeal and say it doesn't look like they've changed").

Although I still think an unban all is best and needed. Those who don't "deserve" to get unbanned will soon get banned again anyway so..

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Coconut

Staff Member Recruit

Ratings:
    +82
    CoconutSpook
    I was thinking these guidelines:
    • Accumulation of bans : Unblacklist if staff feels they seemed to change
    • DDoS/DOX : No unblacklist except for extremely specific cases
    • Others : Case to case
    This is what I roughly feel they should be. But in my opinion, that's more for the staff to decide and not the players. Feel free however to suggest guidelines as it doesn't hurt to.

Also considering ban appeals are not currently open to public, not feel the need to state it, but if they went public, I definitely would like unblacklists should be kept to moderators only considering a blacklist is very grave, and not something you joke around with

6. JamesDaKill

JamesDaKill Nobility

Ratings:
    +1,052
    JamesDaKill
    I mean the guidelines for when to unblacklist should be private for the moderator team probably so players don't actually know if they'll get unbanned or not before appealing.

I think the Doxing needs to depend on how severe because some Doxing is very severe but some of the dox bans rn are just complete bs ngl. DDosing I'd agree with and hacking into accounts, but most others I think should be able to be unblacklisted (even for abusing perms a lot or something).
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 8, 2018, Original Post Date: Nov 8, 2018 ---
    I also think though that atm it's way too easy to get a blacklist. I think there should at least be like a 6 month ban added (preferably something like a 90 day too) and a year ban would basically achieve the same thing as this for things that are quite servere but not enough to never be able to get back

7. Coconut

Staff Member Recruit

Ratings:
    +82
    CoconutSpook
    Misunderstood that, I definitely agree.

The rules have changed to allow first names and other info that isn't dangerous if the player who's info is leaked agrees, and I think they're going to be changed because of all the drama. But if they aren't changed, I agree.

8. JamesDaKill

JamesDaKill Nobility

Ratings:
    +1,052
    JamesDaKill
    The rules were already like that lol and the main problem is some staff members who are staff for the wrong reasons and like banning people are taking the rules wrongly and banning for bs things. Although it would help to make the rules more clear to stop that.

9. Coconut

Staff Member Recruit

Ratings:
    +82
    CoconutSpook
    I think that's a good idea actually, except for the one year ban as it does not give the staff the ability to judge if someone should be let back on the server.

10. JamesDaKill

JamesDaKill Nobility

Ratings:
    +1,052
    JamesDaKill
    If what they did is bad enough that they shouldn't - then the staff should blacklist them in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. PandaDaKill

PandaDaKill Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +303
    Yes

12. Coconut

Staff Member Recruit

Ratings:
    +82
    CoconutSpook
    I'm confused on what you replied yes to :p

13. Nate

Nate Nobility

Ratings:
    +1,879
    Free cloister, free trayno, free adoze, and free costy

• Like Like x 1
  14. Zuiy

Zuiy Crusader

Ratings:
    +768
    i got got banned for doxxing and got unbanned 30 days later kappa

15. CommanderReilly

CommanderReilly Citizen

Ratings:
    +14
  16. doggo

doggo Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +374
    -1 what the server needs is a huge boost in players. An unblacklist all could achieve this, but telling people they have to put effort into it and appeal won't. Also, some dox blacklists are completely bullshit like bittchlasagna's or the guy who threatened to swat someone with Antarctica's penguin police.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Coconut

Staff Member Recruit

Ratings:
    +82
    CoconutSpook
    Look at this: https://desteria.com/community/threads/dox-rule-changes.96148/

The boost in players will already come with Desteria plus. I do agree that an unban/unblacklist all would bring more players, but they need to deserve that unban/unblacklist all by making a proper appeal showing that they've changed.

18. doggo

doggo Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +374
    You're literally as retarded as carbon is. yikes!

19. Realbois

Realbois Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +329
    Realbois
    While I agree on your point here with more players coming with Desteria plus, players who have already played Desteria, who are desperate to get unbanned, are more likely to actually play as an active person. New players are great and all but, with the way Desteria likes to advertise their server, those players are not the type to play factions regularly. Let's refer back to when Spifey was advertising Desty - good youtuber, even I watch him regularly and was eager to know he was going to advertise Caden. Made 2 videos on Caden that weren't even factions related. It was just trolling and schemes that didn't show what Caden was about, so when players actually tried to play on Caden because their favorite youtuber was playing there, they got confused on what to do and went back back to Hypickel, since that his demographic.

Players will not want to make an appeal when they have probably done this multiple times already and have tried to show the staff team they have changed. I know a player who tried this. Mythiixx was trying to be active on the forums, show that he changed with constant replies and helpful suggestions - to get unblacklisted, but with all the effort he still got rejected (with an appeal). Just unban everyone, players who have not matured will eventually get banned again and the community will probably keep an eye on those players to report them.

#19 Realbois, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  20. Coconut

Staff Member Recruit

Ratings:
    +82
    CoconutSpook
    If by retarded you mean trying to encourage people to voice their opinions on what they think would be best for the server, then yes I agree that I'm retarded. But I don't get why you have to say yikes, as it doesn't sound like a bad thing.

Point taken, and you've convinced me. Going to edit the thread to say that every blacklisted player who's blacklist is less than 6 months old gets and instant unblacklist, and all banned players get an instant unban unless the ban is 1 week old (to prevent rule breaking right before reset knowing they will be unbanned) all these times would start from the day of the reset. Also going to change it so that it says that blacklists can be appealed after 6 months and not a year.

• Like Like x 1