Menu

0 MEMBERS ONLINE Discord Server
JOIN 0 ONLINE PLAYERS pvp.desteria.com

Staff of Desteria: What keeps you on the team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adolphin

Ambassador
Staff members are tasked with so many menial jobs on the server - standing in spawn and muting people, locking forum threads (somethings for pretty trivial reasons), and trying their best to stay as active as possible.

The question is... why?

The server has been in a state of degeneration for years. The playercount is a fraction of what it once was. It's become more popular to criticize the server than to praise it.

Staff members who actually moderate the chat are hated on by players. Events that have been in the works for weeks have limited to no participation.

Not to mention how the Owner treats all of his staff members. There have been countless resignation letters that complain about him refusing to have proper communication with his staff members. He even mistreats those he speaks the most with. For example, after his LemonCloud Manager, Annie, resigned after he refused to adhere to LC punishment guidelines, he literally chargebacked her salary. This is not a man who inspires people to put hours into something he owns.

So, let's all have a long and hard talk about why you all choose to stay on the staff team.

Jnf

Crusader
Zzzzzzz

Same ass threads just different title and different person writing it

Bonfiyah

Nobility
I play the server and pvp on it, sometimes I hop into calls with players, I get the hours and discord activity anyways. I'd be here regardless if I were a staff member or not.

Corbin

Crusader
It gives me a reason to not be doing homework. I'm nearly never alone to my thoughts. The people on the staff team make me laugh a **** ton. The players make me laugh a **** ton, even the ones that ****in hate me. The rest of it is just so I don't have to play factions ;)

Prismo

Explorer
One thing that keeps me on the staff team are the other members on it. Once you get to know everyone on the team, it is pretty nice. No real drama (you can tell between serious remarks and jokes), everyone works as a team, and if you make a small mistake while doing your duties, you can be forgiven. It hardly ever gets stale for me, especially because of @Savannah ;) She's pretty funny.

Moonfishing

Trailblazer
The main reason I've been staff on any network is that "Oh! Thank you!" moment after you've helped a player. Though it's mildly rare, it's always fulfilling for me when I help someone & they show gratitude - keeps me determined to have that moment again.

Savannah

Trailblazer
because I can hoard the staff team with memes constantly, and not get demoted LOL

But for real, I'm quite not sure what's kept me bound to the server. Whether it's the fact that that I find solace in being mad at some of the player base most of the time, or the fact that some people actually seem to be thankful; is all just kinda nice. My almost 5 years of experience with being staff on servers has definitely helped with not wanting to off myself at the expense of many conversations I see daily. That experience though, has also assisted the fact that I understand how to deal with people.
If it wasn't for what I've been through with other servers, quite frankly I still wouldn't be here. Desteria players are.. a lot. Thankfully, there's still people that at least seem to care about the server, which gives me hope about some people.
The memes that come out of events are also pretty funny as well, if you know what they're about.

Either way, the staff team I interact with daily is probably the biggest reason I've stuck around. Even with people coming and going, we're still like a family, in some sense. Everybody works alongside one another, and is easily able to communicate. From what I know personally, there's very rarely any issues among how we work together. I've been able to work well with everyone on the team, which helps me out a lot as a mentor myself.

All in all, I've stuck around because of the people I've met and dealt with, that don't immediately make it their job to make my role as hard as possible.

JMan

Ambassador
I'm not staff anymore, but when I was, I played everyday because I knew there were kids cheatin' out in /wild (or in FFA when that was relevant) and I wanted to catch every last one of 'em. ^_^

That and all the egirl attention it got me :^)))

Mystah

Nobility
All this talk of doing it for appreciation and to help is high key hilarious the only reason anyone applys for staff is power

LambChops

Citizen
I can't say my opinion on the owner because I REALLY don't know the situation but, I can tell you from a players stand point that I personally don't hate any of the staff members. In fact, they have gotten loads better as of late and it's pretty enjoyable being on the server now. I think that the Owner has nothing to do with why staff want to become staff on this server to begin with. I didn't join because of any main reason and I am not going to quit for this reason. I feel most staff members want to become staff on here because they enjoy the server and want to see it grow, not by the person who runs it. :p

Last edited:

Omega

General Manager
Staff member
Manager
All this talk of doing it for appreciation and to help is high key hilarious the only reason anyone applys for staff is power
This kind of mentality is precisely why so many staff members feel they can't speak their mind, by the way. I've done all I can to make sure staff are aware that they can speak openly to me or other staff members about whatever they want to - but this kind of mentality and belief (in my personal opinion) is what really causes staff to turn into those so-called "robots". They act like that because it's easier to cope with being called a robot rather than being told you're a liar for truly expressing yourself.

Time to step off my soap box now. Thanks for coming to my TEDxTalk.

Mystah

Nobility
This kind of mentality is precisely why so many staff members feel they can't speak their mind, by the way. I've done all I can to make sure staff are aware that they can speak openly to me or other staff members about whatever they want to - but this kind of mentality and belief (in my personal opinion) is what really causes staff to turn into those so-called "robots". They act like that because it's easier to cope with being called a robot rather than being told you're a liar for truly expressing yourself.

Time to step off my soap box now. Thanks for coming to my TEDxTalk.
There's nothing wrong with wanting power just be honest about it are you seriously going to sit here and tell me a recruit is actually going to get staff and be like "wow I can't wait to Boost the player count by 200 by monitoring chat" nah some get a kick out of punishing people through mutes and tempbans and those who don't are actively trying to get promoted for what..... more power hmmmm I feel like theres a pattern here

also I when I say power I don't just mean ./perms I also mean the things you might be able to get away with that you shouldnt, or peoples recognition of you because you are staff (This is a big one a lot of people go for)

Edit: I just realized something else the comment I was targeting with my post was a robot response

Last edited:

Omega

General Manager
Staff member
Manager
There's nothing wrong with wanting power just be honest about it are you seriously going to sit here and tell me a recruit is actually going to get staff and be like "wow I can't wait to Boost the player count by 200 by monitoring chat" nah some get a kick out of punishing people through mutes and tempbans and those who don't are actively trying to get promoted for what..... more power hmmmm I feel like theres a pattern here

also I when I say power I don't just mean ./perms I also mean the things you might be able to get away with that you shouldnt, or peoples recognition of you because you are staff (This is a big one a lot of people go for)

Edit: I just realized something else the comment I was targeting with my post was a robot response
There's also nothing wrong with wanting to just benefit the server in any way possible. By no means am I saying that all recruits think that way. I'm fully aware that most people are drawn to a staff rank for the recognition - but trust me when I say that if all you're in the position for is some fame and recognition, then you'll be sorely disappointed when our wonderful community literally tries to harass you into resignation as a "hazing" of sorts, which is partially why there are so many incorrect bans/mutes surrounding recruits. I'm not saying it's the community's fault, but you can't expect to not take any blame when most (not all, key word there) recruits genuinely mean well and simply don't know how to act correctly. Also key word, you changed your phrasing from this:
To this suddenly:
...nah some [recruits] get a kick out of punishing people through mutes and tempbans and those who don't are actively trying to get promoted for what..... more power...
Now, I may be making a big deal out of this, but it's partially because a.) I try to communicate as clearly as possible with you all whenever I have some downtime and b.) I feel like this misconception needs to be sorted out. With that out of the way, I'd say that you've changed your tone a bit and are now just assuming that all staff who aren't out to abuse mute perms are suddenly going for more power to....keep not abusing their perms? Isn't that kind of the point? Not abusing your perms and helping out the server?

Part of the reason I got so far into the staff team (this being the second time I've been a Manager here) - I'd like to point out that I've only been able to accomplish some of the things I've done (such as doing my best to listen to what you all are saying and incorporate it into the server) by doing exactly what you're accusing (and shining a bit of a negative light on) staff of doing....pursuing additional power. The action itself isn't what you should be focusing on, it's the reason for the action. I pursued additional power and better positions so I could do more for the community. It's not always a bad thing to want more responsibility, so I'm dumbfounded as to why you think it's such a horrendous thing (unless I'm totally misunderstanding the points you're trying to make.)

So I guess at the end of it all, you are correct - Staff who do not abuse their permissions are only here to pursue additional responsibility (you call it power) in order to accomplish more things for the community (something you kinda left out).

Aeris

Overlord
my point from the start:unsure:
well duh, somebody who actually wants to be staff probably wouldn't want to settle at recruit or helper forever, and there's been plenty of staff who decided mentor or moderator was good enough, admin promotion on the table or not.

Mystah

Nobility
well duh, somebody who actually wants to be staff probably wouldn't want to settle at recruit or helper forever, and there's been plenty of staff who decided mentor or moderator was good enough, admin promotion on the table or not.
did you delete something? On the email there is more to this

Status
Not open for further replies.