Question about Crop Hoppers - How to use

Discussion in 'Questions' started by GloryPanda, Jun 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GloryPanda

GloryPanda Explorer

Ratings:
    +138
    Edit: So I'm told that the crop hopper will collect what ever crops are on the floor. And alas, it's not doing as such... I have the hopper placed, I got a note in the chat that told me I placed it correctly. I even have it set up to flow into a chest. But nothing is filling up. Do I need to have water flow into the hopper? If so, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of a regular hopper?

Ok so I'm a little late to the party. I have some crop hoppers and I'm trying to understand it's usage. I've already searched for my question and nothing really pops up. Just complaints that Cacti farms are insufficient with them.

So how exactly do I use a crop hopper? I've placed one in my farm chunk. Just free standing. Not attached to a chest or anything. But it's not filling up, and I have a lot of wheat ready to "Auto-magically" appear in the hopper.
    Am I supposed to attach the hopper to a chest or place it on the farm itself?
    Thanks for the help!

#1 GloryPanda, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  2. Logic

Logic Ambassador

Ratings:
    +3,060
    LogicMia
    Hey! So Crop Hoppers don't magically collect any items on the floor. Rather, they have to grow and break. Instead of dropping to the floor however - items that meet the aforelisted criteria are automatically teleported into the Crop Hopper. So, they're most effective for automatic catus farms and such. They won't be functional for helping out with an manual sugarcane farms, for example, because you're the one doing the breaking. The game registers that separately than a natural growth-then-break event, which is what the plugin behind the Crop Hopper is scanning for.

Hope this helps!

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Hilly

Hilly Backpacker

Ratings:
    +53
    @Logic idk if it was just me but sometimes when cactus breaks the crop hopper doesnt pick it up. i was wondering if u could look into that

4. Logic

Logic Ambassador

Ratings:
    +3,060
    LogicMia
    Is it possible that the Crop Hopper is full? Also, the cactus may be outside of the chunk that the crop hopper covers. Have you tested to see if either of these two issues are the culprit?

5. ReVine2

ReVine2 Peasant

Ratings:
    +4
    Crop Hoppers basically make any farm Fully Automatic. When a crop grows It collects it and the cycle starts over. You can only have one per chunk. /f sc tells you the chunks

6. GloryPanda

GloryPanda Explorer

Ratings:
    +138
    If only it would be fully automatic. The wheat doesn't do that lol
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 12, 2018, Original Post Date: Jun 12, 2018 ---
    It does. Thank you. So really it's just Cacti that it works for? (It's the only one I can think of that grows and breaks lol)

7. Omega

Omega Community Manager
    Staff Member Manager

Ratings:
    +3,621
    XxOmega
    It could possibly work with an automated sugarcane farm as Logic mentioned that manually breaking them is different - so perhaps an automated redstone contraption that auto-breaks the sugarcane would register similarly to cactus, but I haven't tested this so I can't tell you that this would work.

If someone has attempted to automate a sugarcane farm and succeeded in using a crop hopper, feel free to comment otherwise this is purely speculation.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Hilly

Hilly Backpacker

Ratings:
    +53
    It was not full, and i checked the chunk with chunk boaders mod and it was all in 1 chunk, it would only pick up half the chunk

9. Logic

Logic Ambassador

Ratings:
    +3,060
    LogicMia
    Could you try and show me a video of this happening? Maybe I'll notice something that way.

10. Hilly

Hilly Backpacker

Ratings:
    +53
    @Logic ill have to remake it real quick gimme like 30 minutes
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 13, 2018, Original Post Date: Jun 13, 2018 ---
    @Logic im sorry this issue was my fault not the servers. the cactus was in a different chunk. Sorry :(

11. Logic

Logic Ambassador

Ratings:
    +3,060
    LogicMia
    All good! No worries. Happy to hear things have been resolved.

12. 13Max31

13Max31 Explorer

Ratings:
    +134
    13_MAX_31
    Do crop hoppers take items from any y coordinate? Meaning that potentially, you could build a one chunk farm, from bedrock to sky limit and have the drops collected by the hopper?

13. Emmymerh

Emmymerh Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Content Team Event Team

Ratings:
    +329
    BotEmmy
    Yes this is how they should be configured that anything in that chunk (regardless of y direction) can be picked up from one crop hopper anywhere on the y-direction. You could put the hopper at the top of the chunk, the very bottom, or somewhere in the middle, and it should still function the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.