Make exploit abuse rules more detailed?

• Yes

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

FruityDerp

Citizen
Today, I was banned for a vanilla mechanic that I wasn't even aware would warrant a ban, using a sticky piston to take blocks from another person's base. I thought this ban was quite unreasonable because there could be many often abused glitches that don't warrant bans. In addition to this, the reason why I was even able to sticky piston their base was due to their own stupidity while claiming. Anyways, I'm not making this thread to complain about the ban because iLemon is the server owner and he can define any rule in any way he wants, but I'm making this thread to promote more detailed rules. Currently, the only thing the rules say is that abusing bugs or exploits is bannable. What defines a 'bug or exploit?' I don't know. Is hitting a player's hitbox while they're encased in blocks bannable? Some argue that it's a vanilla mechanic, but others argue that the blocks should cover them up. Is sponging someone's walls bannable? It's a vanilla mechanic, but it lets you cannon others' walls without the need to stack sand. I could go on and on with examples of possible bugs or exploits, but I'll save you the time. All I'm saying is that staff should consider editing the rules and making them more thorough because, currently, it's hard to tell what's a bug and what's not. I hope you feel the same about the rules, but if you don't make sure to reply and tell me why or why not you agree.

TL;DR The current rules don't really give us much information about what is an exploit or not. The rules should at least give us some examples of these exploits.

DrOhcysp

Explorer
yea that doesnt like something that should be bannable.. thats just bad planning on the other factions side.. i consider the amount of space that is needed for my walls to not be sponged or sticky pistoned when building and be something that everyone should do

+1

Corbin

Staff member
Content Team
Its hard, with exploit/bug abuse, because obviously if we knew about them we'd try to get them patched asap. It's not really ideal to have a list on the rules that says "yo here are all the bugs we know about that you shouldn't abuse" because that list would be constantly changing. Typically, vanilla mechanics aren't bannable (unless they're dupe glitches and things like that), so I'm assuming that pistons weren't supposed to function like that across faction land (which seems sensible to me, in hindsight).

We have recently come to agree that rules should be more specific in some areas during a staff meeting. That being said, if you ever notice that a rule doesn't properly cover what is actually punished for, or there is some other problem with the rules, feel free to message me or other staff about it on discord and I'll gladly bring it up with Omega.

CowAF

Explorer
Its hard, with exploit/bug abuse, because obviously if we knew about them we'd try to get them patched asap. It's not really ideal to have a list on the rules that says "yo here are all the bugs we know about that you shouldn't abuse" because that list would be constantly changing. Typically, vanilla mechanics aren't bannable (unless they're dupe glitches and things like that), so I'm assuming that pistons weren't supposed to function like that across faction land (which seems sensible to me, in hindsight).

We have recently come to agree that rules should be more specific in some areas during a staff meeting. That being said, if you ever notice that a rule doesn't properly cover what is actually punished for, or there is some other problem with the rules, feel free to message me or other staff about it on discord and I'll gladly bring it up with Omega.
Exploit/Bug Abuse should definitely have warnings before bans

Norman

Formerly 'Ping'
Vanilla game mechanics is vanilla game mechanics. If you’re a good faction, you know how to defend against them. They should not only make a list of bannable ones but also reduce the number of them that are bannable.

Another suggestion:

Make a subforum ‘Exploits’
Within that forum, you can report an Exploit you discover through ‘Exploit Reports’, and then if it is confirmed by a staff it can then be decided if it is bannable or not, and if it is, then it goes on Official Exploit Rules.

Omega

Community Manager
Staff member
Manager
The main issue I have with this is that as soon as we start listing things, it becomes an ultimatum of "well that wasn't listed so it must be legal!" even if we specify that the list is not exhaustive.

The reason it's vague is specifically because of how many possible outlets there are to abuse a potential glitch - in an ideal world, I would like to see people approaching staff about things that are questionable and getting their opinion on it and then coming to a conclusion from there.

I have no problem expanding out a list of things that we will or won't ban for based on their vanilla mechanics, but I'm also not a super expert on every possible way you can do that so it'll definitely always be a work in progress.

Most people I talk to don't even read the rules to begin with, or only read the one part that supports their argument - so now we go into a completely different territory that I won't even expand on. Bottom line is that the change you're asking for is definitely possible with work and contribution from players and staff - but at what actual benefit?