JOIN 0 ONLINE PLAYERS pvp.desteria.com

Let's talk about: Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omega

General Manager
Staff member
Manager
Hello everyone - due to a few requests, I'm writing about my perspective when it comes to Truth and Perspective.

Definition of Truth:

1.) The true or actual state of a matter:

2.) conformity with fact or reality; verity:

3.) a verified or indisputable fact, proposition, principle, or the like:

4.) the state or character of being true.

5.) actuality or actual existence.

6.) an obvious or accepted fact; truism; platitude.

7.) honesty; integrity; truthfulness.

Now that we can see the definitions, let's select a few words to help us understand this concept a bit more.

Verity ~ the state or quality of being true; accordance with fact or reality:

Conformity ~ action in accord with prevailing social standards, attitudes, practices, etc.

Fact ~ something that actually exists; reality; truth:

Truism ~ a self-evident, obvious truth.

Platitude ~ a flat, dull, or trite remark, especially one uttered as if it were fresh or profound.

Integrity ~ adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty.

Obvious ~ easily seen, recognized, or understood; open to view or knowledge; evident:

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, we can basically tell that "truth" is something easily seen, recognized, and something that shoulld be self-apparent. However, is that always the truth?

In my opinion, truth is actually very difficult to see, because everyone's perspective is different. Here's an example for you.

You have a single object located in the center of the room. Surrounding this object, there are several people all looking at the same object - but due to their perspective, it looks slightly differently to every single person. That being said, if you ask them to describe the object, you will get several answers, even though they were all looking at the same object. So, to really understand the "truth" (Object in the center of the room) you have to ask everyone involved in the viewing of said truth - or you'll only be seeing a partial truth. This, in my mind, is known as Absolute Truth, and is almost impossible to obtain. We can only grasp at partial truths and fill in the parts we don't know with assumptions, which leads to an incomplete truth and therefore, not what is actually there. Rather, it's simply our perception of it based on other people's perceptions.

We can delve deeper into this if we start looking at how we actually understand other people's description of their perception - because they might mean one thing and say something else, or we might misunderstand what they are saying. Once that happens, the truth starts slipping away even faster because we're assuming their partial truth is accurate, which is untrue if they either didn't vocalize it accurately or we misunderstood what they were actually saying; leading to something that's even farther from the truth without even knowing it.

The bottom line is - truth is fictional, everything is based on perception. This is also why the definition is based on social standards, because we can only consider truth that everyone, or at least the majority of people agree on. However, this also means that "truth" can change over time based on people's ideals and accepted theories. If you asked someone what an apple was, it seems like a very silly question - however if we started teaching people that oranges were actually apples, then over the course of time people would simply accept that oranges were called apples because that's the perceptional truth they were taught their entire life.

Feel free to add your own input and I'll reply when I have time.

@Kermy
@SlipIntoMadness
@TheLoneWulf1

^ For requesting the thread.

Last edited:

Rob

Forest Guardian
Wooo Knowledge man! :D

Read it now, learnt a lot of words heh! Also it's actually interesting, even I get some of these things mixed up. Quite nice to be reminded by definition.

fxysm

Ambassador
Hello everyone - due to a few requests, I'm writing about my perspective when it comes to Truth and Perspective.

Definition of Truth:

1.) The true or actual state of a matter:

2.) conformity with fact or reality; verity:

3.) a verified or indisputable fact, proposition, principle, or the like:

4.) the state or character of being true.

5.) actuality or actual existence.

6.) an obvious or accepted fact; truism; platitude.

7.) honesty; integrity; truthfulness.

Now that we can see the definitions, let's select a few words to help us understand this concept a bit more.

Verity ~ the state or quality of being true; accordance with fact or reality:

Conformity ~ action in accord with prevailing social standards, attitudes, practices, etc.

Fact ~ something that actually exists; reality; truth:

Truism ~ a self-evident, obvious truth.

Platitude ~ a flat, dull, or trite remark, especially one uttered as if it were fresh or profound.

Integrity ~ adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty.

Obvious ~ easily seen, recognized, or understood; open to view or knowledge; evident:

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, we can basically tell that "truth" is something easily seen, recognized, and something that shoulld be self-apparent. However, is that always the truth?

In my opinion, truth is actually very difficult to see, because everyone's perspective is different. Here's an example for you.

You have a single object located in the center of the room. Surrounding this object, there are several people all looking at the same object - but due to their perspective, it looks slightly differently to every single person. That being said, if you ask them to describe the object, you will get several answers, even though they were all looking at the same object. So, to really understand the "truth" (Object in the center of the room) you have to ask everyone involved in the viewing of said truth - or you'll only be seeing a partial truth. This, in my mind, is known as Absolute Truth, and is almost impossible to obtain. We can only grasp at partial truths and fill in the parts we don't know with assumptions, which leads to an incomplete truth and therefore, not what is actually there. Rather, it's simply our perception of it based on other people's perceptions.

We can delve deeper into this if we start looking at how we actually understand other people's description of their perception - because they might mean one thing and say something else, or we might misunderstand what they are saying. Once that happens, the truth starts slipping away even faster because we're assuming their partial truth is accurate, which is untrue if they either didn't vocalize it accurately or we misunderstood what they were actually saying; leading to something that's even farther from the truth without even knowing it.

The bottom line is - truth is fictional, everything is based on perception. This is also why the definition is based on social standards, because we can only consider truth that everyone, or at least the majority of people agree on. However, this also means that "truth" can change over time based on people's ideals and accepted theories. If you asked someone what an apple was, it seems like a very silly question - however if we started teaching people that oranges were actually apples, then over the course of time people would simply accept that oranges were called apples because that's the perceptional truth they were taught their entire life.

Feel free to add your own input and I'll reply when I have time.

@Kermy
@SlipIntoMadness
@TheLoneWulf1

^ For requesting the thread.
tl;dr pls

whatever

Nobility
tl;dr pls
OK I WILL TRY

TL;DR: There is no such thing as the absolute truth, as the "truth" seems to change depending on the popular belief or point of view, for example, you can say that apples are called apples and it will be accepted as "truth", but if Derren Brown came from nowhere and woohoo'd the whole word and made them believe apples are called shoes then that would become true because there would be noone to disagree with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.