JOIN 0 ONLINE PLAYERS pvp.desteria.com

Let's talk about: Personality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omega

General Manager
Staff member
Manager

So the first thread on this "Let's Talk" series (I'm turning this into a series, yes) was about being different. This time, since the first thread got almost no feedback or attention, I decided it was perfect to write another. (since I know secretly you all love these things, you just never tell me.)

So here we go - tonight's topic for the Let's Talk series is....Personality.

Personality

First off, as will the trend be, I will start off with a definition, followed by a few more definitions of words used in describing the original word - that way we are all on the same page. After that, it's all just me throwing my thoughts out on a thread and seeing what you guys think. Without further delay...let's dive in.

Definition: Personality
1.) A person as an embodiment of a collection of qualities:

Psychology~
2.) The quality of being a person; existence as a self-conscious human being; personal identity.

Other words:

Embodiment:
- the state or fact of being embodied.
- - - - - - - - - - To collect into or include in a body; organize; incorporate.

Qualities:
- An essential or distinctive characteristic, property, or attribute.

Self-conscious:
- conscious of oneself or one's own being.

Identity:
- The condition of being oneself or itself, and not another.

Alright then, there you have all the technical terms and wording to describe personality, but now let's talk about it. Admit it, you've all said at one point something along the lines of "oh well, his personality isn't really suited for staff" or "I just don't really like his personality".

Somewhere along those lines, you've probably said something like that about someone...but let me stop you for a moment. As described, personality describes the ENTIRE person, as a whole entity. If they show you one part of their personality, such as being rude or unpleasant, does that mean you can judge their entire personality? How many of us will look at this and say something like "Oh but Omega, I don't always act like this" or "Oh well I only do this on the internet. I act differently with my friends" or whatever. According to what I've seen, and what I know, people act differently depending on the situation.

My conclusion is this; we have multiple sides of our personality. This isn't to be mistaken as multiple personalities in one body or entity - but rather multiple qualities within our personality that we show at different times depending on the situation we're in. That being said, people are rather quick to judge a book by not even it's entire cover, but rather just a portion of what they see of a mostly covered book cover.

On another note, that personality can change and you can essnetially "switch out" different qualities, almost like cartridges in a printer, depending on who you hang out with. Obviously, it will only affect you to a degree, but there is definitely a pull to "fit in" (if you will) to the top five people you most often interact and hang out with. To that degree, are you able to change your personality?

Moving on, the most intriguing part of this topic (for me anyways) is that at the end of the day, our perspective on people's "personalities" is very limited to what we experience in-game and through the forums. We *generally* have no idea what they are like in real life, during certain events, other times of the day, etc. It's said to study in the same place you will take a test, because you'll recall information more easily due to familar surroundings. Likewise, you recall how you act more easily in-game because you're surrounded by familar objects and people - but if you go to the supermarket, you might not be screaming at people to get the **** out of your way and how much of a scrub they are because they can't drive a shopping cart properly.

At the end of the day, I think people should take a step back, think for a second, and get to know someone a little more before making an "ultimate judgement call" on them. Sure, people will upset you and whatnot and you're free to make judgement calls and dislike them for it, but why is it necessary to base their entire being's existence on a few bad instances you had with someone? Is it okay to label someone simply because they made you mad a few times?

Leave your thoughts at the bottom - tell me what you think.

Omega

General Manager
Staff member
Manager
Quick question: How would one know if they have seen an entire person's personality? Is there really an end to a personality? @Omega
There's a point in time, once you spend enough time with someone, that you essentially know just about everything there is to know about them.

Ultimately, it'd depend on the person, how open they were, how trusting they find you, how difficult or easy their life may or may not have been, along with countless variables that could make the process easier or harder to really get to know someone's full personality.

For instance: I knew this female for quite a while. As it turned out, I spent so much time talking with her that I was able to predict exactly how she'd respond, act, react, how she'd hold herself, etc. about 90% of the time. I wasn't 100% correct all the time - she was still able to throw me a curveball every once in awhile, but the point is that we talked consistently for...maybe a year? Within a year, I was able to almost completely predict eveything she would do and say.

The choice isn't really if it's possible - it's more whether or not you're dedicated enough or addicted enough to take time to know every single thing there is about someone, and how willing they are to share that information with you.

xSoccerGodx11

Backpacker
There's a point in time, once you spend enough time with someone, that you essentially know just about everything there is to know about them.

Ultimately, it'd depend on the person, how open they were, how trusting they find you, how difficult or easy their life may or may not have been, along with countless variables that could make the process easier or harder to really get to know someone's full personality.

For instance: I knew this female for quite a while. As it turned out, I spent so much time talking with her that I was able to predict exactly how she'd respond, act, react, how she'd hold herself, etc. about 90% of the time. I wasn't 100% correct all the time - she was still able to throw me a curveball every once in awhile, but the point is that we talked consistently for...maybe a year? Within a year, I was able to almost completely predict eveything she would do and say.

The choice isn't really if it's possible - it's more whether or not you're dedicated enough or addicted enough to take time to know every single thing there is about someone, and how willing they are to share that information with you.
Answers my question perfectly, thanks.

PinkRanger

Trailblazer
Wait, people don't normally yell at other people to move out the way when shopping? Wtf? Have I been doing it wrong?

Omega

General Manager
Staff member
Manager
Omega are u into philosophy? ._.
Not at all. I just like entertaining myself by picking a topic, such as this, doing only enough research to figure out what the technical definition is, and free writing the entire thing based on what I think about the subject.

It's all based on my own view of the subject.

Porridge

Overlord

Interesting take on things as usual. I would argue however that you could not accurately predict someone's next "move" in the world due to:
A) no one actually knows what/how they will respond to someone/something acting on what they say, no one actually knows what they will respond with until they have said it.
B) You don't 100% know someone's next "move" until it's been made, it's like rolling a dice and hoping to get a 7 on a six sided dice, it's impossible due to external variables to predict an outcome.

If you could accurately monitor/control the external variables then I would agree with you. There is always some unexpected part of someone's personality, half the time they don't even know it exists until they themselves have acted upon it.

iShadow

Nobility
Not at all. I just like entertaining myself by picking a topic, such as this, doing only enough research to figure out what the technical definition is, and free writing the entire thing based on what I think about the subject.

It's all based on my own view of the subject.
Oh ._.

Omega

General Manager
Staff member
Manager
Interesting take on things as usual. I would argue however that you could not accurately predict someone's next "move" in the world due to:
A) no one actually knows what/how they will respond to someone/something acting on what they say, no one actually knows what they will respond with until they have said it.
B) You don't 100% know someone's next "move" until it's been made, it's like rolling a dice and hoping to get a 7 on a six sided dice, it's impossible due to external variables to predict an outcome.

If you could accurately monitor/control the external variables then I would agree with you. There is always some unexpected part of someone's personality, half the time they don't even know it exists until they themselves have acted upon it.
Precisely, which is why I never claimed I knew every single move she would ever make.

However, based on the countless conversations I had with her over the period of time we've known each other - I can pretty accurately judge how she'll answer a question, react to a situation, etc (generalized, obviously.) - expansion on that would be that I wouldn't be able to say that she will 100% put her left hand on her right thigh and sigh for exactly 3.2 seconds. That's not what I was saying. I'm saying that if I say something in regards to a certain subject, based on how I present it to her, I know roughly how she'll react and answer me back.

By being able to know these things, I can "control" the flow of the conversation, if you will. Yes, You don't really get to 100% know someone, which is also something I mentioned.

As for knowing or not knowing how you'll react - people know you better than you know yourself in most cases, because they have an outside perspective (objective as well) and will notice the things you think nothing about.

I see where you're coming from, and I may have worded it strangely in my original message. Let me know if this clears it up or if your points still stand from your perspective.

Porridge

Overlord
Precisely, which is why I never claimed I knew every single move she would ever make.

However, based on the countless conversations I had with her over the period of time we've known each other - I can pretty accurately judge how she'll answer a question, react to a situation, etc (generalized, obviously.) - expansion on that would be that I wouldn't be able to say that she will 100% put her left hand on her right thigh and sigh for exactly 3.2 seconds. That's not what I was saying. I'm saying that if I say something in regards to a certain subject, based on how I present it to her, I know roughly how she'll react and answer me back.

By being able to know these things, I can "control" the flow of the conversation, if you will. Yes, You don't really get to 100% know someone, which is also something I mentioned.

As for knowing or not knowing how you'll react - people know you better than you know yourself in most cases, because they have an outside perspective (objective as well) and will notice the things you think nothing about.

I see where you're coming from, and I may have worded it strangely in my original message. Let me know if this clears it up or if your points still stand from your perspective.
Yeah, I see where you are coming from and I agree, it's just actually predicting someone's next action is nearly impossible, yes you can get the general gist of what they are aiming to do, their execution however will be slightly different each time. So all in all, yes I do agree with you. Thanks for clearing it up :D

aloeberries

Citizen

I've heard that if sometimes you spent enough time with a person, you pick up on some of their traits and make them your own. Like a married couple or a couple/roommates who have interacted with each other for a good amount of time. How true would that be? or is that the case of knowing how the person is going to behave, so you fall into the role of how to respond?

Status
Not open for further replies.