Let's talk about: Difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omega

General Manager
Staff member
Manager

Different. Unique. Strange. Awkward. Special.​

How do you define these words and things? These ideas? How do you deem something to be "not normal" or "unique"? Is it only based on your own experiences, or the experiences and accusations of many?

Let's talk for a bit on what you can actually consider unique, different, or strange.

First off, what is normal? What do you even base your definition off of? By raw definition, it's
conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural.

so let's have a list of definitions first.

Conform:
- to act in accord with the prevailing standards, attitudes, practices, etc., of society or a group:

Standard:
-
something considered by an authority or by general consent as a basis of comparison; an approved model.

Common
:
- belonging equally to, or shared alike by, two or more or all in question:

Usual:

- habitual or customary:

Regular:

- usual; normal; customary:

Natural:

- based on the state of things in nature; constituted by nature:

Based on all these definitions, and not delving further into it to stimulate more knowledge and a more complete basis of what "normal" is, and is perceived as, let's go ahead and see what we have before us.

So normal can basically be concluded as something that is natural, is done by a group of people, and/or what is considered "normal" by a type of authority. (most likely based on observing nature and coming to a decision based on evidence.)

So based on that, can't just about everything be considered "normal" under the right viewpoint? If so, can anything be truly considered different? It can, but only if you limit yourself to your own experiences or the limited experiences of those around you. Delve deep into history or the world and you'll find out that your definition of "normal" isn't nearly as accurate as you might think.

Take for example, in modern day Japan, what people are doing over there. Cosplaying, having vending machines that sell underwear and **** magazines. If you saw this in America, you might freak out a little bit. The first thought in your mind might be "oh that's odd." Wait a minute, this happens all the time in Japan, so why is it so odd here in America? Because your preconception of "normal" is based on your limited knowledge of what the actual definition of "normal" actually is. "Normal" is vague and varies depending on where you live, or when you lived.

Go back a little bit when women had no rights. That used to be NORMAL. Can you imagine if you said that today? You'd be stoned to death for sticking up for a woman. You know what changed? Something strange happened. Someone who had a different idea decided to step up and make a change. What they saw as different, weird, heresy, is now widely accepted as normal by the majority of the world.

so let's rethink your perception of "normal", and what these words might actually mean. What's "weird" and "different" to you is perfectly normal and acceptable in my social realm of knowledge. Simply because you do or don't do something doesn't mean that it's automatically weird if someone else does it.

I know someone who finds great joy in making fun of people, hurting people, and overall just being a complete ******* at all times. To me, I cannot comprehend it. I do not process why he enjoys doing such things. Wait a second though....from his eyes, and what he's grown up with, it's a perfectly normal thing. I'm the weird one for not wanting to hurt others and destroy friendships.

Bottom line is this. Educate yourself before you go and make an accusation or assumption.

I may very well be a sociopath, an egotistical son of a *****, and insanium in the cranium. However, that doesn't mean that I'm the only one, and that doesn't mean that I realize how strange it is to you. To me, it's perfectly normal, and I think it's weird for people to be able to empathize with others because I'm unable to do so.

That concludes this random philosophical moment.
PM me with more ideas if you want this to become a regular thing.

MG45L

Crusader
You make a very good point. But in my own view I think someone who tries to club me over the head isn't defined as "normal". Keep this up too I feel smarter when you explain all this. :p

Rapidly

Forest Guardian
What's the point of reading it quickly if you don't retain any of the knowledge?
Even if I read slow, I don't retain any of it. For some odd reason, I forget things after I read them. Then a hour later I remember it till I get to the thread/post/irl stuff (test, exams etc). then forget it again when I finish, or in the middle of it xD!

Omega

General Manager
Staff member
Manager
You make a very good point. But in my own view I think someone who tries to club me over the head isn't defined as "normal". Keep this up too I feel smarter when you explain all this. :p
When you think of it from their point of view, you're not really a person though. You're just a baseball and they happen to have a baseball bat. Under that circumstance where they are hallucinating, it's very normal to want to hit a baseball with a baseball bat, and based on their vision and previous experiences with the sport, that's what you do in that situation.

Sure, it's not normal from an objective point of view, but they think it is - and in the heat of the moment, their opinions and thoughts are the only ones they have to rely on to define "normal" behaviour.

Omega

General Manager
Staff member
Manager
Even if I read slow, I don't retain any of it. For some odd reason, I forget things after I read them. Then a hour later I remember it till I get to the thread/post/irl stuff (test, exams etc). then forget it again when I finish, or in the middle of it xD!
scrub.

MG45L

Crusader
When you think of it from their point of view, you're not really a person though. You're just a baseball and they happen to have a baseball bat. Under that circumstance where they are hallucinating, it's very normal to want to hit a baseball with a baseball bat, and based on their vision and previous experiences with the sport, that's what you do in that situation.

Sure, it's not normal from an objective point of view, but they think it is - and in the heat of the moment, their opinions and thoughts are the only ones they have to rely on to define "normal" behaviour.
Eh. But still if someone tries to club me over the head i'd have a problem with that.

Omega

General Manager
Staff member
Manager
Eh. But still if someone tries to club me over the head i'd have a problem with that.
Well I'm not denying that. The only thing I'm pushing is the concept of what is normal and strange, abnormal, different, weird, etc.

By all means I'd say that being clubbed to death is unpleasant, but that doesn't mean it's abnormal in everyone's head - even though it is one of the more extremes.

MG45L

Crusader
Well I'm not denying that. The only thing I'm pushing is the concept of what is normal and strange, abnormal, different, weird, etc.

By all means I'd say that being clubbed to death is unpleasant, but that doesn't mean it's abnormal in everyone's head - even though it is one of the more extremes.
You're too smart for me stop it! xD

Status
Not open for further replies.