Is there a way to AFK multiple chunks with an Alt?

Discussion in 'Questions' started by SilentCoyote, Feb 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SilentCoyote

SilentCoyote Citizen

Ratings:
    +14
    Hey everyone,
    I've recently completed my 3x3 chunk sugarcane farm and wanted to expand even further. I currently have 8 Alts and wanted to know if there was a way that 1 alt can AFK multiple chunks. My current setup is 1 alt AFK in each individual chunk.

Any suggestions?

2. Using

Using Nobility

Ratings:
    +1,100
    Impossible but I would recommend getting console client for your alts if you have not done so already

3. SilentCoyote

SilentCoyote Citizen

Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks for your response! I am using console clients as well. Unfortunate that I have to acquire more alts :/

4. Using

Using Nobility

Ratings:
    +1,100
    https://www.superalts.com

5. Bonfiyah

Bonfiyah Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Content Team

Ratings:
    +1,579
    Bonfiyah
    One alt can afk multiple chunks of crops. One account will load in and let crops grow in a 3 chunk radius around it, a 25 chunk total area. Because of this one account will be able to afk a farm up to 5x5 chunks in size. You should certainly be able to afk your whole farm with one account right now, try it out and let us know how it goes.

6. SilentCoyote

SilentCoyote Citizen

Ratings:
    +14
    Interesting, so 1 account can AFK a 5x5 area? (If placed in the center chunk) I've heard from multiple people that 1 account can only AFK the chunk that it resides in.

7. Bonfiyah

Bonfiyah Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,579
    Bonfiyah
    One account can certainly afk more than one chunk of crops. Your current farm will only require one account. Whoever informed you otherwise may have been thinking of mob spawners. For those, you need to be within 16 blocks of the spawner.

I can double-check that a single account can afk a 5x5 area of crops in a few hours and update you on this thread.

8. SilentCoyote

SilentCoyote Citizen

Ratings:
    +14
    If you could update me it would be greatly appreciated! :D Thanks for the response!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Coe

Coe Backpacker

Ratings:
    +95
    On the contrary, the rates will be way slower in those other chunks. It's more efficient to load in each individual chunk. If you want more money load in the chunks individually, if you want to expand and make it 3x4 you could do what @Bonfiyah is suggesting on the last chunks, I'm just saying it reduces the crop output due to rendering / radius restrictions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Onliest

Onliest Explorer

Ratings:
    +242
    a really long afk pool

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Bonfiyah

Bonfiyah Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,579
    Bonfiyah
    You can afk crops in up to a 5x5 chunk area. The crop growth rates degrade the further away an account is from the crops, though.
    ^This is correct, can now verify with some ingame tests. I main 2x2 sugar farms so I haven't seen this in action before.

So with all the comments here we can come to a great conclusion for ya. You will want to still use multiple alts to afk your crops, which will be easy now that you have console clients. In my experience, placing alts at the corners or borders of two or more chunks gets you a very effective spawn rate in all of the chunks the alt is in. Plan your setup accordingly! =D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. SilentCoyote

SilentCoyote Citizen

Ratings:
    +14
    Thank you very much for your response! I will definitely use your results to build my newest farm effectively. CHEERS

13. StormerSage

StormerSage Crusader

Ratings:
    +820
    NATALiE used a reallllly long spinner in 4.0 to AFK the cactus farm. It couldn't keep the whole thing loaded solo, but would do a good job of keeping most of it loaded with a couple of alts offset from each other.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. QuazzyDestroyer

QuazzyDestroyer Backpacker

Ratings:
    +25
    QuazzyDestroyer
    Yea just have a couple long afk circuits, covering something like a 2 by 2 area

15. SilentCoyote

SilentCoyote Citizen

Ratings:
    +14
    So would this work? Red Wool=Alts 2019-02-05_21.24.28.png

#15 SilentCoyote, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  16. Tonycool32

Tonycool32 Backpacker

Ratings:
    +14
    You can also have a large afk pool that moves you through all of the chunks

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. JMan

JMan Ambassador

Ratings:
    +5,035
    Do you have data to back that up? Forgive me, but that sounds quite complicated for a faction server.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. BrickMasterRaj

BrickMasterRaj Crusader

Ratings:
    +648
    Not sure where people are getting the information that crops grow faster in a chunk where a player is standing as opposed to the chunks loaded around them, but it’s inaccurate.

The server processes a certain number random ticks per loaded chunk every tick of the game (with some exceptions like outer spawn chunks, and a limit of the chunk being more than 128 blocks from the player in the XZ). It’s all or nothing, either crops grow or they don’t, there is no slowing down depending on distance from the player. As far as I know there are no Factions oriented jars that will do this either. Given the relatively low processing cost to do the random ticks, it would take more to process random tick intervals based on a player radius then let them go normally.

So to answer the original question: one alt can cover a 5x5 with no losses except crops on the outer edges that pop off into unloaded chunks. So 4 alts could cover 4 5x5 areas, or 100 chunks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Bonfiyah

Bonfiyah Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,579
    Bonfiyah
    I placed 3 sets of 12 sugar cane reeds in different chunks with crop hoppers - One set of crops in the same chunk as my afk alt (A), one set of crops two chunks away from the alt horizontally (B), and the last set was two chunks away from the alt diagonally (C). All crops were placed within the span of a few min.

Chunk A’s output: 172 items
    Chunk B’s output: 122 items
    Chunk C’s output: 78 items

20. LEGALIST

LEGALIST Crusader

Ratings:
    +604
    hmu in dms and i can give u 25 alts, i got too many

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.