1,187 MEMBERS ONLINE Discord Server
JOIN 0 ONLINE PLAYERS pvp.desteria.com

Important issue which needs to be addressed

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotNerdy

Backpacker
Blacklisted
The point of this post was to spread the message globally because it's not okay to do especially on our network

Unsure what you're trying to say here if this relates to staff harassment then please explai

Right, I personally didn't start dealing with the reports myself after December / January but that's something I should've payed more attention to of course and my apologies for that - I took a glance over them from time to time but never really answered them anyways,

When it comes to staff reports unsure where you get the 'buddy buddy' part from because I could have a really good friend on the staff team which I've known for ages but if they have done something that they shouldn't have done I treat them the same way as I'd treat the other staff members, so the 'buddy buddy' part shouldn't be involved here as it's false,

Secondly the players who report the staff members tend to harass the staff members on forums / in game whilst the situation is being looked into - I've seen it countless of times and then people come up to me saying why did I get banned, it should be left to the management to deal with and not taking matters into your own hands by saying nasty stuff to them, it doesn't help the scenario whatsoever.

Thirdly this post was purely pointed out because it needed to be posted because it's a massive issue, and I agree if staff don't show respect to the community they shouldn't be treated any equally, but that doesn't mean being completely disrespectful to them would help the situation, My PM's are always open on forums and discord (Leins#6695) so if you see a staff member being rude to someone don't hesitate to report them to us (this also includes staff reports, but if you want faster responses PM'ing me would be the better option)
Staff members aren't supposed to harass the players, that's where the whole issue comes from when it gets out of hands and they start getting harassment back, but it's lead to the point that something had to be said or else it would get even worse, again reporting a staff member to the management would be the best option because we can't allow staff doing such things.

Again it gets to the point where people start to cross the line, that shouldn't be happening whatsoever and others shouldn't be thinking that it's fine, put yourself in one of the female staff members shoes - you wake up and log in game and the first thing you see is someone being completely disgusting towards you, it continues everyday for no reason and the member knows that they will be warned before being muted and they will take that advantage to abuse that and harass the staff member even further because going back to my original point they will know that they will receive a warning, you as a female staff member would report this to the management in matter of moments because it can get out of hand quite easily, the guys who are staff members don't get such comments and are often joking around in the faction chat about it calling each other disgusting names so the female staff members shouldn't be treated any different from the other staff members and just because they are females they shouldn't be receiving disgusting comments everyday because they could have things going on IRL besides this and on top of getting harassed in game isn't pleasant, something to think about rather then saying 'grow a pair' because it's not the same for everyone and they shouldn't resign because of it, it simply should be stopped - and the 'staff harassment towards players' can be stopped by showing respect to staff in the first place and again if the staff aren't showing respect to the community then please don't hesitate to report it to the upper staff :)

And Will reply to Nerdy later on ^^
The thing is leins boy is that female Minecrafters would get harassed anyway

Ex. When Kiki resigned she still got harassed for her race and being a female

And the harassers didn't receive consequences

So I don't know why we are focusing on staff and not just everyone in general lmao

Leins

Forest Guardian
The thing is leins boy is that female Minecrafters would get harassed anyway

Ex. When Kiki resigned she still got harassed for her race and being a female

And the harassers didn't receive consequences

So I don't know why we are focusing on staff and not just everyone in general lmao
This doesn't contemplate the whole 'staff harassment issue' if this involves the people in general being harassed then that can be reported and dealt with as well, it's just that staff mostly get targeted more then the actual players

Kiki has indeed dealt with harassment for a long long time, but it's not acceptable to cross over the line and judge someone to the point that we have to make such post.

The point of this thread is to inform that as you said 'minecraft girls will get harassed anyways' people shouldn't be jumping into the bandwagon and follow what everyone else does because it's something that happens with factions in specific and it's not alright.

Like I said, I never see staff just randomly get harassed the moment they get on the realm, krynn is one of the most toxic realms imo, however the only staff who get flamed are the abusive ones. 1-3 staff members really get flamed.
You may not see it on krynn, but there are 5 realms overall meaning the harassment could be going on in discord PM's / Eldyn / Sepre / Lyren / Zulen or even FFA, just because it doesn't happen on one realm doesn't mean no one gets harassed, there are various of platforms the staff members / members get harassed on daily, you may also think that 1-3 people get harassed well there are a awful lot more going through such faze but aren't speaking out or they don't wish to.

Navi

Forest Guardian
Good post.

Obviously, I can't speak about harassment from a female's perspective, but personally through my times as a staff member I wasn't really harassed at all unless I did something completely ******ed and ****ed up somehow. (ex. muting a group of people for something that wasn't defined in the rules).

But the thing is, the harassment would eventually fall off because the players would go back to doing whatever they were doing and going on with their game play. But I am fairly sure at this time of the reset, attention towards the actual game play is falling off.

On top of that, some staff members just act like complete idiots sometimes. The direction staff members take on their chat behavior and attitude differ from person to person, but half of them are not the most appropriate way to act. I will refrain from calling out specific names, but I've seen some staff members stay online the whole time, not type a damn thing in chat and only mute. No help at all, just mutes. When questions appear off of the mute, they respond with basic responses that hold no value because they are, well, basic responses.

Harassment basically doesn't start out of thin air in a community like this because people aren't like "**** it, lets go harass ___." Harassment on Desteria really starts when someone acts or does things that are comparable to a clueless monkey in the middle of the desert or when there is literally nothing to do in the game because it is so dull and they start to walk around their base endlessly and type in chat.

The staff members should be, especially in orientation, encouraged to withstand the harassment no matter what you have to represent the server in a positive manner. When you act like a stupid monkey, of course you are going to be harassed and then it continues from there.
Adding onto the part where people don't harass for no reason, I think one of the bigger problems with the staff team facing harassment is exactly because people view them as just another staff rather than an individual. One staff member abuses, another staff member acts with malice and disrespect, eventually the community sees that as a whole reflection. This makes it really difficult for some of the staff members who genuinely do come on and try to do things for the community.

One act from someone with even a remote amount of influence can reflect on the entire team, and I think that's where the problem lies - in generalization, lumping everyone together because it's just easier to do that than expect things to be done about the individuals.

You guys don't have to be on the staff team and put up with the consequences of your members' actions, but you do. You come on every day and you put in your hours and your efforts and you try. I don't play enough here to know about each specific case that lies in the staff team, but I hope that the few that are creating this bad image for those who are trying get called out and removed soon.

Edit: Just had a funny thought. How many people who shoot death threats and sexual harassment comments toward people online would pull that same stuff to people in real life, anywhere from people aged 11 to 25?
Like imagine a 15 year old boy going up to a 23 year old guy and saying "lol go *** you stupid ******". You guys wouldn't normally do that, right? So why do some of you guys feel so big taking some of these comments so far online?

CommanderLion

Nobility
Basically what I'm getting from this is people are getting soft and tbh no offence but you should not be staff if you aren't ready for at least some kind of harassment this is the internet after all and people will be people so grow up honestly and I'm prepared for some kind of stupid ass comment or even a warning point somehow because people are too soft and can't handle the internet

Emmymerh

Crusader
Basically what I'm getting from this is people are getting soft and tbh no offence but you should not be staff if you aren't ready for at least some kind of harassment this is the internet after all and people will be people so grow up honestly and I'm prepared for some kind of stupid ass comment or even a warning point somehow because people are too soft and can't handle the internet
No people aren’t getting soft... it’s getting out of hand. We are told in orientation.. “hey you’re going to get harassment and you’re going to get nasty things said about you.” And we know that that’s what we signed up for. When people are logging on and are met by extreme offense... it gets difficult for us to do our actual jobs and have fun playing just like you all do.

CommanderLion

Nobility
I don't understand why staff reports are always brought up. Most of the time they never get looked at and are completely ignored.
I made a staff report around December, the staff i reported is still on the team, my staff report got locked and no one commented on it? Idc if u deny it. Just don't lock it and say nothing.

Also how are players suppose to report staff members when every staff is buddy buddy with each other? If u saw ur friend who's a staff getting reported ur gonna be bias af towards it.

Makes no sense to direct people to staff reports. Those people who make reports usually get banned within a week or two after the report because of some "unexpected reason".

Also ignore staff harrassment, what about staff harrassing players? Staff abusing their powers? Where has that gone lmao? If staff won't show respect to the community there is zero reason why the community should show it back.
Staff have priority apparently because staff on here can abuse and **** not only that but get away with etc and management does a poor job of addressing the team and get rid of that person this is why I don't play desty because no matter who's in charge nothing gets done nothing changes
[doublepost=1518892664,1518892406][/doublepost]
No people aren’t getting soft... it’s getting out of hand. We are told in orientation.. “hey you’re going to get harassment and you’re going to get nasty things said about you.” And we know that that’s what we signed up for. When people are logging on and are met by extreme offense... it gets difficult for us to do our actual jobs and have fun playing just like you all do.
There's nothing fun about playing a server that gets slow updates and yeah I know devs are trying but when there's staff that are abusing etc. And people have ****ing tnt detectors and management is off playing God damn league of legends what are we going to do? And this brings me to another point cannons are broken on realms each realm has different ticks etc.

Bloomer08

Explorer
From just reading the comments you can see how toxic the community is. Yes, some do make valid points but others not so much, I think yes maybe the thread should have a section about harassment in general. Not just for staff because coming from a girl, the harassment is even worse when you are just a normal player. Usually, I just laugh it off because it's the internet but not everyone can do that, so I see why some staff may have requested this to be made. Besides this, where people have said only abusive staff have been harassed either way it's not good but this is semi-true. When certain staff got on I used to see them being called out even before they spoke, but I did see even good staff in my op. get harassed. I feel as though maybe if you edit this and add a "General Community" part maybe that will help stop some of the negative feedback.
These experiences are not super recent, about a month or a few weeks recent. Still, much hasn't changed if Emmy has even said something about it and she is a new staff member. Just saying my opinion!

CommanderLion

Nobility
From just reading the comments you can see how toxic the community is. Yes, some do make valid points but others not so much, I think yes maybe the thread should have a section about harassment in general. Not just for staff because coming from a girl, the harassment is even worse when you are just a normal player. Usually, I just laugh it off because it's the internet but not everyone can do that, so I see why some staff may have requested this to be made. Besides this, where people have said only abusive staff have been harassed either way it's not good but this is semi-true. When certain staff got on I used to see them being called out even before they spoke, but I did see even good staff in my op. get harassed. I feel as though maybe if you edit this and add a "General Community" part maybe that will help stop some of the negative feedback.
These experiences are not super recent, about a month or a few weeks recent. Still, much hasn't changed if Emmy has even said something about it and she is a new staff member. Just saying my opinion!
yeah and it's the fact that they did it for just staff like you mentioned but welcome to Desteria you can't change people so yeah go ahead punish people but it definitely won't change

Bloomer08

Explorer
yeah and it's the fact that they did it for just staff like you mentioned but welcome to Desteria you can't change people so yeah go ahead punish people but it definitely won't change
Yeah and that seems to be what's pissing people off the most. Most of the people I used to play with left because of the community so yeah.

CommanderLion

Nobility
Yeah and that seems to be what's pissing people off the most. Most of the people I used to play with left because of the community so yeah.
Many people left because the team well some of the team can't manage to do anything at all and the decent ones get demoted for ****ty ass reasons so theres that

Fall

Overlord
I'm sorry, but this is rather ridiculous.

While I don't disagree that staff harassment can be a big issue, it certainly is not such an issue now that such measures needed to be taken. As someone said previously, this is the internet. People are going to be ****s. If excessive, punishment should be issued, of course, but this? This is too far.

This server's toxicity levels have dropped a hell of a lot since 5.0. Leiins, I'm sure you remember how it was back then, even before? It was baaad. But what did it do? What harm did it actually do? Sure, if it got out of hand, the players in question were punished. But the staff involved either grew stronger, or resigned.

Staff should be able to deal with harassment towards them in a calm manner, not muting and punishing players every time they say something bad towards staff. This will not help the server whatsoever. Staff need to be strong, leaders for the layers to look up to. They shouldn't need to hide behind mutes and bans. Like I said, if it grows excessive, yes, give them a fat ban. But if staff can't deal with everyday disrespect, frankly, they shouldn't be staff.

Flighty

Overlord
I'm sorry, but this is rather ridiculous.

While I don't disagree that staff harassment can be a big issue, it certainly is not such an issue now that such measures needed to be taken. As someone said previously, this is the internet. People are going to be ****s. If excessive, punishment should be issued, of course, but this? This is too far.

This server's toxicity levels have dropped a hell of a lot since 5.0. Leiins, I'm sure you remember how it was back then, even before? It was baaad. But what did it do? What harm did it actually do? Sure, if it got out of hand, the players in question were punished. But the staff involved either grew stronger, or resigned.

Staff should be able to deal with harassment towards them in a calm manner, not muting and punishing players every time they say something bad towards staff. This will not help the server whatsoever. Staff need to be strong, leaders for the layers to look up to. They shouldn't need to hide behind mutes and bans. Like I said, if it grows excessive, yes, give them a fat ban. But if staff can't deal with everyday disrespect, frankly, they shouldn't be staff.
Agreed, like when I was going for staff, I reacted to the criticism in the wrong way. I was told that as a staff member I should take criticism in a good manner. As a staff I would have to deal with the toxicity and tolerate it. These staff we have now are *******. Someone calls them stupid and they get offended saying ‘oh he’s saying that because I’m from Mexico’ Or ‘because I’m female’, no, remember, these are 14 year old players who are currently going through puberty and play minecraft, if you’re honestly getting offended, then you should rethink life.

Nathan

Overlord
Blacklisted
Agreed, like when I was going for staff, I reacted to the criticism in the wrong way. I was told that as a staff member I should take criticism in a good manner. As a staff I would have to deal with the toxicity and tolerate it. These staff we have now are *******. Someone calls them stupid and they get offended saying ‘oh he’s saying that because I’m from Mexico’ Or ‘because I’m female’, no, remember, these are 14 year old players who are currently going through puberty and play minecraft, if you’re honestly getting offended, then you should rethink life.
Excuse you, it's 2018 and everyone is a special snowflake. Any word you say to them can offend them so we must censor our selfs to prevent those special snowflakes from spiralling into depression or something because of some pixels on a monitor!

Status
Not open for further replies.