DOX Rule Changes

Discussion in 'General' started by Coconut, Nov 8, 2018.

?

Should the rules be changed?

1. Yes, the way you proposed them to be

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Yes, but in another way that I'll explain in the comments

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. No, they're fine the way they are

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. Coconut

Coconut Previously CoconutShell
    Staff Member Recruit

Ratings:
    +82
    CoconutSpook
    Hello Desteria,

Yet another suggestion from me covering a hot topic in the community. Recently, there have been some controversial bans/blacklists regarding DOXs and I think it's time for a change in the rules.

So I'm going to try to cover most DOX situations here, let me know if you think of one I missed and I'll edit it in (while giving you credit of course.)

The first situation is first names. The current rules state that first names can be given out with consent. This is totally fine in my opinion.

The second situation is social media accounts. These are the same case as first names I think, and shouldn't be changed either imo.

Now, getting into the more controversial stuff, passwords. These should be a blacklist that can be appealed if proven that the password is invalid, so this means if there are invalid characters in the potential password. After having an accepted appeal, the player should get a 7 day ban as giving out password even if fake is a serious matter. I know this is going to be heavily criticized, but I stand very strong on this view.

Giving out ip addresses should be instant blacklists and can get appealed if they are invalid (meaning showing no location). This would not include ips that are said as a joke, but have a location to them. If appealed and accepted, 7 day ban for the same reason as password.

Finally, there's swatting threats. This is in no way acceptable, and I'm pretty sure it's illegal, so blacklist even if it's clearly a joke. Again this is even less a joking matter than ips and password, so I stand strong on this view. It's also important to note that you can mask a that as a joke.

Discuss down below :D

2. Vulso

Vulso Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +338
    Vulso
    no the system doesnt need changing, peoples attitudes do.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Nate

Nate Nobility

Ratings:
    +1,879
  4. doggo

doggo Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +374
    you're literally copying omega's poll but yours is worse. you really need to be demoted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JamesDaKill

JamesDaKill Nobility

Ratings:
    +1,052
    JamesDaKill
    First names should be allowed no matter what lol. If you use someone's first name and you've just had an argument and they want to be a **** they can just say to a staff member they didn't want you giving it out and they get banned for doxing? Just no.
    Passwords should honestly be nothing.. you can't do anything with just a password so it's obviously going to be a joke (unless more information is given) so it seems stupid to ban for it, let alone blacklist.
    Erm Swat threats are actually perm ban with an unban after appeal in 60 days lol, same with ddos threats and dox threats and please don't change that to be harsher. It's literally always just kids either joking around or just saying **** in the heat of the moment if they're annoyed about something and it's hardly ever actually meant so imo the perm ban with 60 day appeal is actually quite harsh for that.

Although I do think that the rules should be changed a bit to become less harsh in this regard, but most of the problem really is just some staff members misapplying the rules to be stupidly harsh and banning people who don't deserve it, which should be focused on being tackled.

• Winner Winner x 3
  6. Coconut

Staff Member Recruit

Ratings:
    +82
    CoconutSpook
    Although I partially do agree with that, it's kind of hard to say that to a playerbase. Some people do not read the rules which these reforms would protect them partially from getting blacklisted for a stupid joke.

Forgot Omega had done that poll, I'll still leave this up so the conversation can continue since it's still a controversial issue.

Now @doggo you're the one that's complaining the most about this rule, so complaining about me making this poll is kind of absurd. You should be glad that I'm making this to try to get things to move. I also don't think making a post wanting to help the community should get me demoted, as that's my job as a staff member.

--- Double Post Merged, Nov 8, 2018, Original Post Date: Nov 8, 2018 ---
    Agree, going to change my post.

Going to change it to a one hour mute on my post as I still think it should be punished, and to address the *****lasagna issue, he did give context as to the fact that is was his roblox password. I know it wasn't a real one and that it was his own, but he still deserves a punishment like a 1 day ban at least so he can learn not to do it again, but I agree, not a blacklist.

Also it shouldn't be the staff's job to check if a password is real or not.

My bad, keep the rule the way it is then.

I'm editing all of these changes into the main post.

7. Vin

Vin Forest Guardian

Ratings:
    +8,105
    Sexual
    Isn’t this pretty much the same thing @Omega has a community poll up about? I’m glad you wanna make a change but like probably should pay attention the the community polls lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Coconut

Staff Member Recruit

Ratings:
    +82
    CoconutSpook
    Yeah I already replied the same type of comment. I did forget Omega's poll was there. Mine is slightly different though as it does not include passwords, first names and swats.

9. Nate

Nate Nobility

Ratings:
    +1,879
    But at the same time it should be their job to ensure they aren’t giving out a false punishment

10. JamesDaKill

JamesDaKill Nobility

Ratings:
    +1,052
    JamesDaKill
    No, just saying what the password belongs to is not giving sufficient information. Even if the password was ACTUALLY his or someone else's roblox password, no one could get into his account because they'd need a username and stuff. If you don't give enough information for anyone to actually get into an account then it shouldn't be banable because it's not harming anyone and is obviously just as a joke.

11. Coconut

Staff Member Recruit

Ratings:
    +82
    CoconutSpook
    In this case Carbon did not give a false punishment as it does not state in the rules that he has to check for the password. However I do not agree with the current rule saying that password releases are a blacklist making them unapealable.

In this case since it was a fake password and was proven as so, the following does not count.
    Say a player does the same thing except it's their password. Some people may know his roblox account username thus be able to get into the account. Yeah it's the players problem, but personally I'd rather stop that from happening, and have to punish players, than have a poor kid his roblox account hacked. I do agree though that if the account is your own, you shouldn't get a blacklist.

12. Vin

Vin Forest Guardian

Ratings:
    +8,105
    Sexual
    It’s the same rule whether you bring up the same components or not, I’m just stating that he made the same one lol

13. Syntrafice

Syntrafice Nobility

Ratings:
    +1,259
    [​IMG]
    i like docks
    no ban noob

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Ganp

Ganp Explorer

Ratings:
    +262
    @Cansky
    @Emmymerh
    @xTNAx02
    if you guys dont agree with coconut and actually think that bittchslanga should be banned you're logical as ****
    its common sense,im actually disappointed from you guys o_O

• Like Like x 1
  15. JuiceBox1314

JuiceBox1314 Explorer

Ratings:
    +244
    So, the problem with "if they use a character that makes the password invalid they get their ban reduced" is kinda meh due to the real possibility that they say a real password and add a **** character at the end to make it "invalid". This would work towards intimidating/threatening the player whos password it is while avoiding most or all punishment. To the argument of "password no punish cause u cant do anything wit only pasford!" It isn't exactly hard to get email addresses, if you could get a password I would imagine you're capable of getting the rest. Attempting to leak anyone elses information without their consent should be punishable. You can't DO anything with someones city name, but is it not wrong to give out that information?

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. PandaDaKill

PandaDaKill Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +303
    Didn’t coconut join 3 weeks ago? Doubt he’d know about any community polls :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. ForkInOutlet

ForkInOutlet Backpacker

Ratings:
    +39
    Probably applies for staff on every server he joins lol

Little Mc. Coconut got staff when he actually joined 3 weeks ago and is now trying to change sh*t. For f*cks sake, why has this rookie had such a big mouth ever since he started?

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Divertido

Divertido Explorer

Ratings:
    +202
    divertido
    them bleus 2.0 tryna snag a real nice rank

19. Coconut

Staff Member Recruit

Ratings:
    +82
    CoconutSpook
    I actually joined exactly a month ago which is a few days more than a week actually. Didn't you also ask Omega to get unbanned on discord a few days ago? You don't seem to be very aware yourself of things as you can only get unbanned by making an appeal.

Most of the community wants change, so I don't get where you're going with this?

Considering I only joined this server after my break from mc, yes I did apply on every server I joined. And you're just going to have to deal with my big mouth, as it's not going to change anytime soon.

20. Ganp

Ganp Explorer

Ratings:
    +262
    you wanna know why he got staff mate?
    hes more friendly than you
    more intelligent than you
    and he dont troll or being so negative like you
    so next time you wonder why he got accepted while other people didnt use your brain

• Friendly Friendly x 1