Cannoning Issues

Discussion in 'General' started by Jarsipian, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarsipian

Jarsipian Backpacker

Ratings:
    +85
    I was told by @Jordan to compile a list of all possible current bugs involved with cannoning. So here it is:

( Public message for @Jok ) -- Jok if you have any questions about any of this just pm me or sumthn

1) Triangle Tech pretty much always crashes the server

2) Long distance tunnelers crash the server sometimes most likely due to the overwhelming amount of entities (sometimes well above 3000)

3) When not rendering cobwebs, sand seems to land on top of the webs if not pushed down by an explosion

4) When not rendering piston, whilst sand and tnt are in front of it, chance of piston not pushing correctly causing system to explode

5) Rectangle technology cannons don't work (due to the massive amount of entities required) -- wrap nukers

6) The "piston limit" plugin used to "disable autos" doesn't work as intended, and prevents cannoners from making extremely complex cannons. (My recommendation is to change it more to something like on cosmic where if there is over 20 sand in front of a piston [not in entity form but stacked up 20 blocks] then a piston cant push it)
    p.s. if you do decide to change the piston limit plugin or have any questions about it feel free to ask :)

Generally speaking:
    If a cannon uses over 2000 entities it has a high chance to lag the crap out of and/or crash the server.

And if pistons / cobwebs are involved cannons tend to break if not directly rendered.

I recommend either increasing server RAM (Which i highly recommend) or doing something like implement an entity cap (Which i highly stand against due to the fact that it would take away so many freedoms of the cannoning community in building whatever monster they so desire)

(To community members reading this message)
    If I've missed anything or have falsely stated anything feel free to reply and explain your point fully. Thanks!

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rezaq

Rezaq Peasant

Ratings:
    +0
    Stop building op cannons you're destroying the server <3

3. Ballist1k

Ballist1k Peasant

Ratings:
    +22
  4. Jok

Jok Developer
    Staff Member Developer

Ratings:
    +1,307
    Jok
    Appreciate you putting time into this, my time is limited due to university but if you add me on discord maybe we can figure some stuff out. As a side note, it seems unlikely to me that RAM allocation is an issue, although I could be wrong. With minecraft, performance almost always comes down to single threaded cpu performance.

5. Dombo

Dombo Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +381
    WTF RECTANGLE TECH LOLOL explain yourself sir.

6. Adoze

Adoze Explorer

Ratings:
    +203
    I’m not dev but I am a pc geek so, almost every cpu on the market has hyper threading, or at least more than 1 thread and core. I’m guessing that minecraft is the same way, I get you have to support many plugins and players with that cpu. But really it is minecraft, hyperthreading should be enough. Also upgrading RAM (Random access memory ;), god I’m such a nerd) on any server will help to better cannoning by some bit, maybe we should take a look at how much ram and the specs of our server and compare it to places with great cannoning such as Ostia and oki etc. I did use my pc knowledge so correct me if I’m wrong with anything there, I Don’t know too much about minecraft coding and devs etc. And I’d like to point out that anything that is made on cannon realm is different and must be edited to work on main realms.

-Daish ;)

7. Triad

Triad Peasant

Ratings:
    +13
    No the reason why vaelox, ostia, oki, royalty work so well with cannons is because they have custom jar files which makes cannoning flawless

8. Adoze

Adoze Explorer

Ratings:
    +203
    No those just reduce cannon lag, they were just implemented like a map ago. I can also guarantee that they have an insane amount of ram

9. Jok

Jok Developer
    Staff Member Developer

Ratings:
    +1,307
    Jok
    Minecraft is well known to be single threaded, so extra cores and threads don't matter, it's all about single threaded performance. I'd also like to see evidence that increasing RAM would make any difference.

10. Adoze

Adoze Explorer

Ratings:
    +203
    Like I said, don’t know much about minecraft itself and performance. But I just used my knowledge if I was troubleshoot a PC. I expected more similarities.

11. Syntrafice

Syntrafice Nobility

Ratings:
    +1,243
  12. SJWRoasterV1

SJWRoasterV1 Nobility

Ratings:
    +672
    Well there's this cannon server called onshotmc and their 40gb legend server can generate 1024x1024 chunk plots with virtually no limits. Lots of cannons which would crash desteria work like a piece of piss on there.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Syntrafice

Syntrafice Nobility

Ratings:
    +1,243
    If you need help with cannon let me know
    I configure only the finest boom machines

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Jok

Jok Developer
    Staff Member Developer

Ratings:
    +1,307
    Jok
    Throwing memory at the problem is kinda unproductive, our servers don't hit memory limits. It's most likely due to optimization of entity based events, a machine with good single threaded performance, and removal of bugs (like removal of bugs around triangle tech which is a big cause of poor performance for those cannons).

• Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.