3 Years in the making

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by JMan, Jul 9, 2018.

1. JMan

JMan Ambassador

Ratings:
    +4,816
    Hello! There is a good chance most of the people reading this have no idea who I am, and that's ok.

For those who do not know, I am JMan, (IGN JMan_X_X) and I was once a staff member, and loyal player here for 2 and a half years. I rose as high as Administrator and was met with my end very early this year. You may recognize me as the guy with the 10th most posts here on the forums
    [​IMG]
    Which is great and all, but my time on Desteria was defined most definitely by my involvement with the Reviewer Team. Since setting foot on the server, I was a watchful eye on the PvP and was on the lookout for those who cheated to better themselves. That's what this thread is about :)

On June 6th, 2015, I was playing the Desteria FFA at the time (during Desteria 4.0) and I noticed a player hacking. I recorded, edited, uploaded, and reported this video:
    (reuploaded a little over a year later for a joke at the time. The original upload was taken down - Just to explain the discrepancy in the upload date)
    I did so in this report: https://desteria.com/community/threads/ffa-noahslife-spider.32948/ (Staff members might get a kick out this, I know normal players cannot view it as it is a closed report :) )

Unknowingly, this would be the first of many many MANY bans that I'd become responsible for here on Desteria. A few weeks later, I was actually banned myself!! :O (Don't worry, it was just a misunderstanding and actually would become the first of many silly bans I would receive, but that's for another thread :p ) After I went through the process of getting unbanned with this appeal: https://desteria.com/community/threads/jman_x_xs-hack-glitch-appeal.34046/ & the posting of another report containing footage of 15 different hackers, I took notice of the Reviewer Team and made it my mission to aid them the best I could.

For whatever reason, minecraft cheats and hacked clients became an obsession of mine. I developed a fascination with the clients, the modules they contained, the people that used them, the anticheats that combatted them, and the staff members that would sniff them out. I made it a goal of mine to be a pillar to this server's security from hackers. I made a name for myself in the community across all realms as "the guy who loves to play FFA and reports people a lot." I treated reporting hackers like a game and a challenge, and because I was so neurotic about it, I kept a list of all the names of every account that had been banned because of my footage. I amassed hundreds of bans and it was this, along with my charm of courrrrrse, that eventually allowed me to gain Helper status on March 1st, 2016. At the time, Helpers were not allowed to join the Reviewer Team! (despite @Fluffy begging the managers at the time to let me in xP <3 ) Thus, my task was set! OBTAIN MOD + JOIN REVIEWER TEAM!

I was promoted to Moderator on June 1st, 2016 and was allowed to join the Reviewer Team 2 weeks later! At long last, I was a member of the team I'd tried to aid for so long. Staffing on Desty was a crazy ride and it would take me forever to go over the details. Don't fret. I'm skipping to ~November 2017.

The manager at the time, Bethy, offered me the position of Reviewer Team leader! After 2 years of doing what I loved to do, I was able to lead it. Not only that, I was then promoted to Administrator a few weeks later! (which was short lived, but that's not the point)

What does this have to do with anything you ask? Well, when I would record a hacker, I would edit and upload the footage into a report. I kept all my videos in this playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLf7qXt0KrKNxF45e-z_h3518XKmTT78ev However, because I was a Reviewer for such a long time, I wouldn't edit and upload the footage right after finding the hacker because I just banned them in-game so there was no need to upload it for a report. As a result, hundreds of minutes of unedited footage tended to pile up on my computer. I vowed to eventually edit and upload all of it, but after my abrupt departure from Desteria, the footage left a bad taste in my mouth.
    But....
    Today, I uploaded the final 2 months worth of footage. Tallied every name, and finished my Reviewer duties once and for all. Sooooooooo here it is folks... the final list of every ban I was ever responsible for on Desteria: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1S_CNTEjpuOMFv0S7fK3VAboo-jYD-J7pgXyqM6epH7U/edit?usp=sharing
    Give it a look! See if you can find someone you recognize! My personal favorites are "toejob," better known as KingJerp & "ChaoticPolar," who I caught twice with a period of 2 months in between, & "Revealinq" who, despite being the highest level of Donor on the server, I caught THREE times for the EXACT SAME HACK, months apart. Good times...

The grand total is 1495!
    For you math geeks out there, that's an average of 1.585 bans every day (using June 6th, 2016 - Jan 3, 2018)
    Note that this calculation does not take into account the summer of 2017 when I was on leave, nor does it include the reports/appeals I processed in that time, which number in the hundreds if not thousands.

Long story short, this is the end of an era. At least for me. 'Thank you' to all 1495 hackers that have let me learn about hacks, hackers, and clients, and 'thank you' to everyone who ever helped me catch them <3

• Winner x 7
    • Like x 4
    • Useful x 1
    • GG x 1
    • Savage x 1
  2. QueenElizabeth

QueenElizabeth Explorer

Ratings:
    +141
    QueenElizabeth
    Respect bro <3 <3

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. hjiuklmo

hjiuklmo Backpacker

Ratings:
    +52
    hjiuklmo
  4. Warmish

Warmish Overlord

Ratings:
    +3,303
    Umay
    So you killed the server !

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Zack

Zack Overlord

Ratings:
    +2,509
    KnightZack
    A true icon, glad to see you poke your nose back in.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  6. JMan

JMan Ambassador

Ratings:
    +4,816
    You had a decent role in many of those bans. Glad to see you still around as well <3

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. WaffleMonkey

WaffleMonkey Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +291
    Thanos

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. bugzigus

bugzigus Helper
    Staff Member Helper Event Team

Ratings:
    +307
    bugzigus
    Reading on this, I'm REALLY missing being a reviewer (now Moderator). I'll get there next month. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Logic

Logic Community Manager
    Staff Member Manager

Ratings:
    +2,722
    LogicMia
    Much respect old friend. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Breweyy

Breweyy Explorer

Ratings:
    +189
    Potifications
    Whats good Jman?

11. Emperio

Emperio Previously Ethyix

Ratings:
    +106
    Ethyix
    Respect. <3

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Escad

Escad Recruit
    Staff Member Recruit Event Team

Ratings:
    +1,528
    Escad_
    <3

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. tyscreeper

tyscreeper Explorer

Ratings:
    +210
    Will be forever missed (don't leave)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. JMan

JMan Ambassador

Ratings:
    +4,816
    Do you have a total for yourself? I can't be far off, can I?

15. screamin

screamin Previously Screamin

Ratings:
    +121
    Screamin
    Nobody ever gave you the respect that you earned, however, when I worked with you last December as Travellings, I clearly saw the person you were and how committed to this server you were. You were my mentor and helped all of us daily, for everything you've done, for all of the 1495 bans you collected, I owe you a thank you.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. SeanM

SeanM Nobility

Ratings:
    +1,499
    @JMan RIP I just got on the forums and see this. I didnt even read it all, I am just commenting. Long time no speaks though!
    @Logic I wonder if I return how long it would take you to ban me this time xD

^^ Both jokes

17. PylonicPanda

PylonicPanda Explorer

Ratings:
    +117
    thanks for clearing those scum off the streets lol

• Like Like x 1
  18. CommanderLion

CommanderLion Previously XxCraftlionxX

Ratings:
    +710
    YaBoiLion
    Who tf is this random again? someone remind me. ;D but on a serious note congrats bro!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. zxemy

zxemy Crusader

Ratings:
    +765
    i banned more people then you

20. JamesDaKill

JamesDaKill Mentor
    Staff Member Mentor Content Team Event Team

Ratings:
    +616
    JamesDaKill
    @JMan Remember when you added me onto the reviewer team? :O

You taught me a lot and really helped me mature as a staff member, thanks a lot <3

• Like Like x 1